• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

AARGGGHH POO everywhere.....Is he ill?

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
I love Earl but he keeps weeing and pooing in my living room- i have never known a rabbit poo so much- he uses his toilet in his cage i dont see what the problem is. 3 times now i have caught him and said no and put him on the toilet but he keeps doing it.

I know i had some advice the other day from RU members which i took on board saying to put him on his toilet and tell him no- i even showed it him and said no- and then put him on the toilet- he keeps sulking when i do that but just does it again.........

jeesh..........

Last edited:
i have relaxed- after picking up another 3 poos..............

my word.........

I dont know whats wrong with him he uses his toilet all day until he is allowed to come out and as soon as he sits still poo falls out i swear.

Im angry with his old owners.........he was apparrently a house rabbit then too

does anyone have any words of wisdom- is he ill? tonight i have put him on his toilet after pooing about 5 times- he is getting worse- just he was sat still for 2 minutes on the carpet which i though was suspicious- so i moved him out the way by tapping his bum and underneath was 25 poos!!!! in 2 minutes- all still hard etc and still warm!!!!

Do toothless buns poo more or something??? I dont know why he is doing it??? we had him thursday and he didnt poo out of his cage once- or friday- or saturday- but last night he did a little wee and today i cant stop him- wee and poo.

Why is he getting worse i think im doing the right thing

help!!!

Have you tried giving him a treat whenever he actually uses his toilet? That's what I did with Boris and it worked really well :wave:

isnt poop a territory thing with bunnies? put him in a smaller area till he knows thats his area, then let him have free roam when hes learned what place is his... even then you will get stray poops.

whenever we go to scotland Alvin poo's everywhere in the cage and not just in the litter tray until he settles

id give anything for mountains of poops about my house right now :cry:

Is he new? Is he neutered? If he's new and/or unneutered, that explains everything :) It's very common for new bunnies to use poop/wee to mark their territory and let every other bun know of their presence - especially if the area smells of other buns. If the bun is unneutered, this impulse is all the stronger because they have the hormonal/breeding urge as well :)

Is he new? Is he neutered? If he's new and/or unneutered, that explains everything :) It's very common for new bunnies to use poop/wee to mark their territory and let every other bun know of their presence - especially if the area smells of other buns. If the bun is unneutered, this impulse is all the stronger because they have the hormonal/breeding urge as well :)

yeah he is new -adopted - but neutered and 18 months old- my buns are outdoor i dont think he can smell them- he has a cage which he goes in when we go to bed at about 10 or 11pm- then depends on our shifts but throughout the day he has living room roam for between 4-6 hours (his puppy pen is coming soon then he will have more excercize) he knows it is his territory as he has grunted at me for messing about in his cage twice. he has been with us 5 days

Have you tried giving him a treat whenever he actually uses his toilet? That's what I did with Boris and it worked really well :wave:

its hard to do this as he sits in his toilet for comfort- i bought him a little bed but he weed in that and slept in the toilet.

I'm afraid that not all buns are religious with their droppings and litter trays. Our male is fastidious about using his tray for his wees and will hold on in the morning sometimes especially so he can do one in his tray in the sitting room even though they have 2 trays in the hutch!:lol: But he has NEVER done all of his droppings in his tray and I don't expect him too, it's not as instinctive to do this for all bunnies i'm afraid. Our girl buns is fab with both and only ever uses her tray for both, and the male bun we fostered was equally good once I had trained him up.

I asked Dr Anne McBride about it once and she said it is quite normal for some male buns to mark with their droppings even if neutered, it's just instinctive to do so. In the wild young batchelor males do this and pay less attention to the 'communal latrine' they are also less likely to live in burrows. So you see it's a normal behaviour for some buns!
You may just have to get used to picking them up. My bun also does huge piles when he is just sat resting or having a lie down - this is when he produces the most. I wouldn't keep conditioning him on the litter tray, he may start to find it stressful and make negative associations with his litter tray. Better to reward the wees in the tray if you catch them and just put his droppings in the tray when he does them around the place and not say anything, he may not be able to help it like my bun! If you put hay in the tray to munch on this should help reduce the amount cast about the house, but remember this is normal for some bunnies....you get used to picking them up eventually! :)

Back