• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

mucky bum advice needed

shelley1977

Warren Scout
my house bun rodger has dried poo stuck to his bum! my little girl got to the excell pellets and fed him more than he sould get.how do i clean him? he doesn't like being held but the poo its quite stuck on.
the food is now secure and out of my little ones reach.

shelley

If you cant pick him up and hold him securely to clean him yourself then you'll have to take him to the Vet to get it done.
He will be at a much greater risk of flystrike all the time the faeces are stuck to his backside

He needs a butt bath.

People suggest different things for shampoo, some say baby shampoo, some say specific rabbit shampoo, but for now it might be worth just using water.

Try and soak just his back end in some luke warm water (baby temperature) and see if you can ease what's stuck, off. He will probably need a proper butt wash with some shampoo when you have got the worst of it off though. The most important thing to remember is to make sure all the shampoo is washed off.

Another way to do it might be to carefully clip off the poo, although that can be a bit dangerous if its really stuck on his genitals, and then bath him after that.

My harvey used to get a mucky bum and all we did was bathe his bum in warm water try and get the muck off or cut it off.
If you have any trouble then im sure the vets could shave it off for you.

goodluck.
Keep it as clean as you can as mucky bums attrack flies. :wave:

Thanks for the advice.I managed to trim some of and wash the rest.I wonder if he struggles to clean himself sometimes as he has no front teeth.Will keep checking though and hopefully it will improve,im changing them over from excel to bunny basics t aswell.

Shelley

My boy Snow has a very dodgy tummy and any change means he gets poo stuck to him. I have really cut back on the SS pellets but hay is always available and he and Treacle get a bowl of veg or fruit everyday to share.
I would say cut back on the pellets and plenty of hay.

Rabswood

This happened to my bunny, so we gave him a bath - in the wheelbarrow! we plonked him in some shallow water with bunny shampoo and gently massaged his bottom until it was all gone and then sprayed flystike spray on him. it was messy but worth it :D

Best thing with rabbits prone to mucky bums is to trim off as much hair as possible so there is nothing for it to stick to - (and change the diet of course). Little face trimming scissors for dogs can be used or better yet clippers. I have bought a set of clippers and they were the best investment ever. The rabbits tolerate it really well. But then rabbits don't argue with me;) I bought a special narrow blade to do between their legs. The hairy mob get done all over. Sweet Pea looks like a poodle:lol:

Any one in the midlands who needs a rabbits bottom shaved, I'm the person for the job:?

Back