• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit weights/sizes (giants). I don't get this!

Carrie1983

Warren Scout
Until Saturday, I had a giant rabbit called Zebedee. He was PTS which has devastated both me and my husband. Zebedee was a Continental Giant. As an adult, he weighed about a stone and a half. He was not overweight at all - very athletically built in fact. The vet was very impressed with how we managed his weight.

I have just been reading about different giant breeds and I read 'Continental Giants can reach weights of upto 12 or 13 pounds'. Well I'm afraid Zebedee superceeded that in a huge way (nearly doubled it), and he was in no way overweight!

What's going on?

Did you get your info from the BRC?

Most websites quote 'standard' breed weights for show rabbits which means they should be around that weight to qualify. However Zebedee may have been bigger than show standard, thus heavier. He would fail to qualify as a show rabbit due to being bigger than the standard weight but doesn't mean he was overweight - if that makes sense :)

Yes, makes perfect sense, so thank you. :) He was definitely a big boy. I was reading the the Flemish Giant is the biggest breed and can get to weights of between 20 and 25 pounds, and thought to myself 'but Zeb was a conti and he weighed that!'

:bunny:

I empathise having just lost our Frosty. I'm devastated at the moment, and just keep going over things in my head.

Back