• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny acting odd - advice?

Loosy

Warren Veteran
Hi there! I have never made an account/posted before, but I lurk here quite a lot and have received a lot of good advice in the past, so first of all I'd like to thank all the helpful members here ^_^
I'm posting because I'm a little worried about my rabbit, Pipkin but I'm not sure if I'm stressing over nothing.
Today he's seemed a little quieter than normal and he's just been lying down with his legs stuck out behind him all day (he sleeps like this quite often, but not normally for a whole day). When I poked him a bit he would get up and hop around for a few minutes before flopping down somewhere else.
Then when I went to put him away this evening, he didn't seem so eager to get at his food. Usually he would jump into his hutch by himself but today I had to lift him in and he didn't seem so interested in his food.
He had his myxi jab on Friday and I'm wondering whether this could possibly be side effects from that?
I'm hoping this won't mean a trip to the vet... he was there just last month because he had overgrown teeth and it cost me a fortune -_- (That's another thing I should have mentioned; could it be his teeth troubling him again?)

Hi there! I have never made an account/posted before, but I lurk here quite a lot and have received a lot of good advice in the past, so first of all I'd like to thank all the helpful members here ^_^
I'm posting because I'm a little worried about my rabbit, Pipkin but I'm not sure if I'm stressing over nothing.
Today he's seemed a little quieter than normal and he's just been lying down with his legs stuck out behind him all day (he sleeps like this quite often, but not normally for a whole day). When I poked him a bit he would get up and hop around for a few minutes before flopping down somewhere else.
Then when I went to put him away this evening, he didn't seem so eager to get at his food. Usually he would jump into his hutch by himself but today I had to lift him in and he didn't seem so interested in his food.
He had his myxi jab on Friday and I'm wondering whether this could possibly be side effects from that?
I'm hoping this won't mean a trip to the vet... he was there just last month because he had overgrown teeth and it cost me a fortune -_- (That's another thing I should have mentioned; could it be his teeth troubling him again?)

Myxi jab reaction is unlikely but a compromised immune system following it, or the stress of the vet trip, or dental pain could be causing this. Has he eaten any supper or done any droppings this evening/today? If not then i'm afraid he needs an emergency vet tonight as it sounds like he could be going into stasis and he will certainly need pain meds and possibly some fluids if he has been inactive all day and not eating/drinking and toileting. If it is dental pain then he may need an urgent dental also.

He has eaten some grass and a few pellets. His droppings seem fine so far as well, but I'll keep an eye on it.
I'm going to go check on him in a few minutes to see if he's eaten any more. He tends not to eat with people watching, lol.
Thanks!

He has eaten some grass and a few pellets. His droppings seem fine so far as well, but I'll keep an eye on it.
I'm going to go check on him in a few minutes to see if he's eaten any more. He tends not to eat with people watching, lol.
Thanks!

Well if he's done droppings and is eating a little he's not in stasis just yet but I expect it could be his teeth again and he could easily be in pain if he's off his food, buns will often keep eating regardless of pain sometimes as a prey animal they are programmed to stay alive and not draw attention to themselves. I think if he's out of sorts and off his food then he needs pain relief tonight. He could potentially go into stasis if the pain gets worse or he doesn't eat enough food to keep his guts going. Alternatively if you think he's ok then I would take him to the vet first thing in the morning. Good luck :)

Ok, thank you. I think I will keep an eye on him this evening, he seems to have eaten some hay now as well (or maybe just thrown it around a bit -_-). He has also done a wee so I think he must be drinking normally - he drinks loads. I think a vet visit is definitely in order for tomorrow morning at the latest. I think I will hold on for now but if he stops eating completely tonight I will have to take him for an emergency appointment.
The way he is being reminds me of when I brought him home after having his teeth done with the anaesthetic. He is sort of sleepy and nibbling at food but just not eating like he normally would.

EDIT: He seems a lot lot better today. The last time I checked him last night was about 1am and he had eaten a few more pellets and I gave him sme dandelion leaves which he gobbled up. They are his favourite so if he wasn't eating those I really would panic.
When I went out this morning he had eaten about half of his pellets (so still not as much as normal but a lot better than nothing ^_^) and seemed a lot livelier; he's hopping about like normal and seemed quite pleased at being let out about 2 hours earlier than usual.
His droppings have seemed fine the whole time although I found a couple of uneaten cecotropes in his bedding.
I was also looking at my calendar and it has in fact been just over 2 weeks since he had his teeth done (23rd June - it seems like forever ago!). Could they really have grown back that quickly?
I am going to wait until the vet opens now to contact them as I think he is ok for the moment and he's still nibbling at his pellets and eating grass.

Last edited:
I had the same worry a few days ago, we had a few really hot days and although bunny was fine during the hottest days, one day Pika was off her food lethargic and flopping down lots, the next day when I was about ready for a vet trip, I realised she was completely fine once more and has been OK ever since. I'm not saying dont go to the vet, as all bunnies are different and they can deteriorate very quickly, I just hope your troubles right themselves as easily as mine did. Has it been very hot where you are recently? xxx

I had the same worry a few days ago, we had a few really hot days and although bunny was fine during the hottest days, one day Pika was off her food lethargic and flopping down lots, the next day when I was about ready for a vet trip, I realised she was completely fine once more and has been OK ever since. I'm not saying dont go to the vet, as all bunnies are different and they can deteriorate very quickly, I just hope your troubles right themselves as easily as mine did. Has it been very hot where you are recently? xxx

I did wonder whether he was just hot when I first saw him laid out on Sunday afternoon and it was pretty warm that day, though not as hot as it has been recently.
Anyway, he is totally back to normal now and we managed without a vet trip. I had an appointment booked for 10am yesterday but then a little while after I had rung the vet I saw him do a binky round the garden which made me think he must be feeling a lot better (binkies are quite a rare occurrence with Pipkin). We had about an hour and a half before the vet appointment so I watched him for a while and made sure I'd definitely seen him eat and drink.
In the end I cancelled the appointment because I didn't want to stress him out too much and make him go off his food again.
I think that may have been what did it last time. He's usually good at the vets but I had a different one on Friday (he didn't seem so experienced with rabbits but I thought that for a vaccination it would be ok) and Pipkin seemed to take a bit of a dislike to him.
As long as he doesn't have any more problems before I take him for his VHD vaccine, I think I will just ask the vet (I think it's the same one we saw on Friday - oh dear..) to check out his teeth then to make sure that wasn't the cause.
Thanks both of you for your replies! :)

Come to think of it, Pikachu had been for her mixi jab a few days before the heatwaves, as had your bunny, i wonder if it was just a bit of stress from the vets and heat combined? So glad Pipkin's feeling better :) xxx

Back