• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Am i to expect......

FudgeMallow

Mama Doe
Fudges poo to be small since she doesnt eat hay?
She always has small poo, not Stasis small but smaller than the other bunnies poo and she doesnt poo as much as the rest of them, which i think is because she only eats pellets so thats all thats going through her system and coming out the other end!

When i feed her more pellets and veg she poops more than when she gets her usual amount of pellets!

She isnt in stasis, she is eating fine, fine in herself, hocks are looking much better, her poo if fine just smaller than i would want and not as much as i want!

I did have her on zantac and metacam as i worried about her small poo but it didnt change at all so i think thats her normal poo!

Sorry for rambling but is it normal to have fewer, smaller poos due to no hay intake??

:wave::wave::wave:

yes and no. Depends what greens she gets too. Sometimes angels are huge and she doesnt eat hay but has lots of greens to make up for it. Meds also cause small poops.
Rabbits need to swallow 420 times per day to keep food being pushed along as they have no muscles in digestive tract so encourage greens even few leaves now and then throughout esp if she cant eat grass either but as long as shes fine and pooping I wouldnt worry.

have you tried feeding her a horse forage called 'hi-fi'? the 'hi-fi senior' can be used as a full hay replacer. :D
soak her pellets in cold water (1:1) and then add the same amount of hi-fi, mix it up and you've got a lovely bunny dinner :D
mine all love it and look fantastic on it! :D
it will get things moving 'down there' for her to help her digestion/poops :D

Char xx

Fudges poo to be small since she doesnt eat hay?
She always has small poo, not Stasis small but smaller than the other bunnies poo and she doesnt poo as much as the rest of them, which i think is because she only eats pellets so thats all thats going through her system and coming out the other end!

When i feed her more pellets and veg she poops more than when she gets her usual amount of pellets!

She isnt in stasis, she is eating fine, fine in herself, hocks are looking much better, her poo if fine just smaller than i would want and not as much as i want!

I did have her on zantac and metacam as i worried about her small poo but it didnt change at all so i think thats her normal poo!

Sorry for rambling but is it normal to have fewer, smaller poos due to no hay intake??

:wave::wave::wave:

Yes that's about right for a bunny not eating hay in my experience. Our foster bun was like this as was on a purely pellet diet with few veg, once we managed to get him eating hay he first of all passed the biggest load of strung poos with fur he'd ever passed in his life before, his owner said he'd never passed any, and then they bulked up and stayed larger from then on with a high hay diet. Hay being a large particle indigestible fibre will stretch the gut walls more than a pellet only diet and there will be more waste material than a bunny eating a starchy/protein pellet which will mostly reside in the caecum, hence hay poos are much larger.
I always wonder whether or not our foster bun had continued his diet he wouldn't have ended up with an impaction from all that fur that was clearly sitting in his bowels going nowhere.
I'm so pleased her hocks are looking better that's great news :) Is there anyway you can encourage her hay intake? We had to teach our foster bun one strand at a time - sometimes it's just a question of finding a hay they like. Alternatively some tough grass or vegetation like apple leaves/twigs and fibrous plants should also help. :D

Thanks everyone im not so worried now :D

Ive tried everything possible on this earth to get her to eat hay, nothing works, She does pick at oat, wheat and barley hay and picks at little bits of meadow but not nearly a quarter of what she should be getting :roll: Atleast its something though :)

She gets A&P first thing in the morning about a teaspoon now. With a handful of dried plantain, dried coltsfoot and 3 times a week dried dandelion with more hay.

At tea time she gets her veg which varies everyday but contains the following, Springreens, Rocket, Carrot, Broccoli, introducing yellow pepper next week, a little cucumber, Apple, cherry, banana with basil, mint, parsley, and a handful of oat wheat and barley grass and timmy grass (from hay experts) fruit is a small piece every friday.

At night she gets 5 A&P pellets (but changing to Oxbow basics T) with 3 Excel Mature, 3 Excel Oregano, 2 Excel adult, 3 SS Mature, 1 SS.
With another smaller handful of dried plantain, with either dried dandelion, coltsfoot or a mixed herb bag with more fresh hay.

Her poos are small but i can still tell when in stasis, her poos go really tiny.

Never heard of Hi-five before, anyone else tried it?
I was thinking of giving her fibreplex to she is getting an intake of fibre for somewhere!

During her moult she does go into stasis because of the hair, she gets a pineapple tablet once a week to help and will get them 3 times during a moult.

I have noticed that when she does pick at her hay she does some stringy poos, but not as bad as during her moult!

Im happy that its normal but still not happy about her not eating hay :roll:

Ive had the samples from hay experts nothing really took her fancy so ordered the samples from Pampered piggies to see if she likes them any better :)
Fingers Crossed :D

Back