• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Eek Strange behaviour help!!!

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
Please can you help with this strange behaviour?

1) I just fed earl some strawberry, strawberry leaves, asctercians (if thats how its spell ass-ter-shans) , mint leaves and parsley . There was about a mixed tablespoon of the above chopped to try him on.

But now he keeps sitting there just chewing nothing. Its not teeth grinding i dont think he is just chewing nothing- i have not seen him do this before -he is a gummy bunny so do you think he has something stuck in his mouth? He chews for about 20 seconds- then stops and plays then does it again. He has done it 3 times now in the last 5-10 minutes.

Secondly.............

2)Im trying to train Earl to use a toilet- he is weeing and pooing in it mainly but then he just did a little wee and poo on his sofa which is NOT a toilet- so in front of him i washed the wee off with neat vinegar and kitchen roll - so he started licking the vinegar........

will vinegar hurt him? is this the right thing to do? will he eventually stop doing random toilets???

Oh dear......

Please can you help with this strange behaviour?

1) I just fed earl some strawberry, strawberry leaves, asctercians (if thats how its spell ass-ter-shans) , mint leaves and parsley . There was about a mixed tablespoon of the above chopped to try him on.

But now he keeps sitting there just chewing nothing. Its not teeth grinding i dont think he is just chewing nothing- i have not seen him do this before -he is a gummy bunny so do you think he has something stuck in his mouth? He chews for about 20 seconds- then stops and plays then does it again. He has done it 3 times now in the last 5-10 minutes.

Secondly.............

2)Im trying to train Earl to use a toilet- he is weeing and pooing in it mainly but then he just did a little wee and poo on his sofa which is NOT a toilet- so in front of him i washed the wee off with neat vinegar and kitchen roll - so he started licking the vinegar........

will vinegar hurt him? is this the right thing to do? will he eventually stop doing random toilets???

Oh dear......

Do you mean nasturtiums?? It may be that he has something caught in his mouth/stuck at the back or in the roof of his mouth? Or that he didn't like the taste? I would give him something else to eat that might wash it down or dislodge it! When my bun took a bite of cuckoo pint (lords and ladies) - highly poisonous whilst holidaying before I could stop him he just kept making strange chewing faces and mouth movements even though nothing in his mouth - it was the bitter taste of it. I just stuffed him some more fresh wet herbs/veg and it stopped. If it carries on then you'd better take him to the vet I should think - depends how he is in himself??

How old is Earl and is he neutered yet? Mistakes do get made during early litter training, it depends how much freedom they have, how much supervision, how you reward good litter habits and if he is neutered or not, normally they get the hang of it pretty quick, i find male buns pretty easy to litter train, but it depends. Licking vinegar is ok as long as not drinking a bowl of it! I would personally use a dilute solution of white vinegar and warm water rather than neat vinegar :)

Dont use vinigar on your sofa!
We had similar problem with angel peeing on sofa in end it smelt like pi**y vinigar and couldnt get rid of smell it makes it worse than it is.
We contacted a animal behavioursit (who was ****) but she said use washing powder and water 40% to water I think cant remeber now as youwant to ger rid of smell so that they cant smell it to then use it again.
Just use soap and water would be best bit and afraid try and catch him doing it "no" pick up dont talk put in potty and say "potty" reward with treat when wees in there.
If he only does it when you arent in then your prob going to have to lock him away for a bit or put him in potty before you go out.
Cover sofa in sheets or we put pet carrier on (used to anyway) as they wont go near that:D
If he is young then neutering will help otherwise just persuverance (how ever thats spelt)

Do you mean nasturtiums?? It may be that he has something caught in his mouth/stuck at the back or in the roof of his mouth? Or that he didn't like the taste? I would give him something else to eat that might wash it down or dislodge it! When my bun took a bite of cuckoo pint (lords and ladies) - highly poisonous whilst holidaying before I could stop him he just kept making strange chewing faces and mouth movements even though nothing in his mouth - it was the bitter taste of it. I just stuffed him some more fresh wet herbs/veg and it stopped. If it carries on then you'd better take him to the vet I should think - depends how he is in himself??

How old is Earl and is he neutered yet? Mistakes do get made during early litter training, it depends how much freedom they have, how much supervision, how you reward good litter habits and if he is neutered or not, normally they get the hang of it pretty quick, i find male buns pretty easy to litter train, but it depends. Licking vinegar is ok as long as not drinking a bowl of it! I would personally use a dilute solution of white vinegar and warm water rather than neat vinegar :)

Yeah i did mean nasturtiums lol- sorry im not good with my plant names- my mom said it is ok for them to eat as humans can eat it and its very peppery id imagine thats what he could taste and kept chewing- he is eating hay now etc and seems fine in his health he is running round enjoying cuddles etc. Thanks for that- i never considered that it might be the taste.

Earl is 18 months and neutered but i only had him 3 days- he is supervised when out of his cage and has freedom- i will water the vinegar down in future i didnt think to i just remembered 'vinegar is good for wee' and that was it lol.

How do i reward him for using his toilet ???

thanks for the help so far :D

oh vinigar will be ok as long as not too much mine have had alsorts chilli powder everything when I was trying to stop him eating my carpets. Youll find they start asking for the chips to accompany the vinigar!

Dont use vinigar on your sofa!
We had similar problem with angel peeing on sofa in end it smelt like pi**y vinigar and couldnt get rid of smell it makes it worse than it is.
We contacted a animal behavioursit (who was ****) but she said use washing powder and water 40% to water I think cant remeber now as youwant to ger rid of smell so that they cant smell it to then use it again.
Just use soap and water would be best bit and afraid try and catch him doing it "no" pick up dont talk put in potty and say "potty" reward with treat when wees in there.
If he only does it when you arent in then your prob going to have to lock him away for a bit or put him in potty before you go out.
Cover sofa in sheets or we put pet carrier on (used to anyway) as they wont go near that:D
If he is young then neutering will help otherwise just persuverance (how ever thats spelt)

thanks- i wouldnt use vinegar on my sofa- its his 'mini' pet sofa- for dogs etc.

He weed on his chair in front of me- it was a little slip up i hope he does not do it again

i love the pet carrier idea :D

Back