• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I think my bunnies need a garden

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
My bunnies have been to my parents for the weekend as I have been away. I went to pick them up today and I have never seen them so happy. They had free-range of the whole garden and were binkying about everywhere.

I feel bad that I can't give them that here. Our garden isnt directly behind the house so I cant see them when they are up there and it would be a nightmare to secure- plus we're in rented housing so cant be digging up too much.

They do have free run of the house in evenings but they seemed much happier in the garden and I am thinking they would be happier somewhere else.

can't you get a folding run so they could have time on the grass supervised, but without risk of escaping?

my bunnies used to dig up my rented lawn all the time...I kept three trays of grass seed germinating at all times to patch it up quickly, and no one ever knew :)

I do have a run that they use on the grass but its just not the same as them having the whole garden to run about in.

Can you put a fence around the garden temporarily? We rent and did this - got a roll of wire and use bamboo canes to hold it in place around the borders - it's not bunny proof but it makes it safe for supervised play time - but then our garden is fully enclosed by fences and walls so I guess that is more difficult for you. I'm sure your buns are happy being house bunnies too....perhaps you will have a different garden one day! i'm sure they can wait :)

It links to next doors garden and they currently have a low level fence with a gap underneath so cant block that part off. Plus one of the other sides is completly overgrown with a giant bush which I would need to tale out to stop them getting behind it.

Could you not take them to your garden and sit with them in a collapsable run. That's what I do with my two when they go outside.

I often think this myself, we have communal gardens so can't let then buns there unsupervised, they get to go round Dave's parents quite a bit (they are only 5 minutes away) but it isn't the same as having their own garden.....however, when I think about it my buns have more space than a lot of buns, are well cared for and I do my best for them whenever I can so it can't be all bad. I hope to move to somewhere with a garden next year. It would be a major consideration in choosing a house.

I don't think they would be better off elsewhere at all :)

Back