• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Has the recession affected the cost of keeping your rabbits?

samhor

Warren Scout
If yes... How? What cost has increased or decreased even?

Have you considered changing suppliers?

Do you think you will have to give up some of your animals if it carries on?

If yes... How? What cost has increased or decreased even?

Have you considered changing suppliers?

Do you think you will have to give up some of your animals if it carries on?

yes it has we now buy in bulk etc which is saving a lot of money, if things get worse then i`m afraid we might have to rehome, which i really don`t want to do it would break my heart.

No it hasn't affected my animals at all. I wouldn't have got them if I couldn't afford them, even if times were tight :) I have recently changed vets, even though my new vet is more expensive they are far better

No not really.. I haven't noticed the cost of keeping them go up much. I buy hay by the bale, food in bulk and veg weekly.. haven't noticed it go up my anymore than what I would expect on an annual basis!

My vets are expensive, but that's nothing new :lol:

Nope we would do without rather than Biscuit.

The price of hay from Willow Warren hasn't increased.

Veg I find quite expensive from certain shops.

But I save money on pellets (she doesn't eat them anymore), litter (we use newspaper) she is insuranced just in case of a high vet bill.

I would never ever give Biscuit up.

Hasn't affected my keeping of buns.

I was a student and now i have graduated, it has made finding a job difficult so i have limited funds but the money i have, first and foremost, goes to my animals, if i have any left (which is not much at the moment :lol:) then i spend it on myself

I haven't noticed a change in cost of supplies. I've swapped around for quality rather than cost.

I'm grateful that having had £1,000 of vets bills in the first half of this year it happened when VAT was 15% rather than 17.5%, so the recession saved me a few quid there.

Nope i haven't noticed a difference. Veggies are sometimes a bit expensive, depending where you get them from but its no big deal.

Money is no object where my rabbtis are concerned, i'd rather go without as long as they have what they need. Nothing would ever make me give them up.

Not really.
If there was a way to buy their hay in greater bulk that'd work out cheaper, then I'd go for it... but I would've done that even without the recession.

I'd NEVER give up any of my bunnies. I'd go hungry myself rather than see them do without. :oops:

To be honest, most of the treats and things they get aren't the kind I get from shops - I go to the park and cut them willow branches/hawthorne branches/birch branches, and I've got an impressive dandelion/platain crop out there amongst the grass. :p

The cost of all my supplies (pellets, hay, veg) have all gone up within the past year by far more than inflationary amounts.

My vets have put their prices up as well, although they do take pity on me and give me plenty of freebies to make up for the added cost

You ask a lot of research type questions and keep setting up groups, forums, etc, are you setting up a business or something?

Nope. All the same as before really. If I struggle my parents can help me out, but all my money goes on them.

I just personally think that the recession has added to problem about abanding them or just simpley giving them up as not being able to afford them...

I would NEVER give my four fluffs up :shock:
I'd much rather do without things for myself etc than let it get to that stage.

The cost of all my supplies (pellets, hay, veg) have all gone up within the past year by far more than inflationary amounts.

Same here...it is getting a bit daft now :roll:

I don't know what our vets are like as we haven't been for a while...treatment is going on at home for those under treatment

Costs haven't really gone up, but I can cut back if I need to. Currently I'm buying hay in bags (about 2/3rds binliner size) for £2 because they're more convenient to buy on the way home from work but I could always switch to bulk-buying from farms if I needed to save more. Vets have always been expensive but as neither me or my husband have lost our jobs, just a minor pay cut on my side of things, we are fine for now. Plus we have bunny insurance if anything other than dentals occur.

Echoing the other statements though of going without rather than giving up our bunnies. We have plenty of things we could cut - from eating out/takeaways to cancelling things like the Sky and gym subscription etc if we had to. The bunnies always come first and whilst vegetables are expensive, garden grass is always free ;)

Back