• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does your local p@home or pet shop have a rehome section?

samhor

Warren Scout
Mine has i dunno when they put it in but its rabbits from the local rescue shelter up 4 rehome ....

Does yours?

Yes but I think a lot of them are either old stock or ones they have sold and have been bought back for whatever reason.

I know they do take in animals from the public if they are unable to look after them as i was contacted by someone who asked me to take some of their gerbils - and PAH had agreed to take some too.

Are you from a rival petchain or something :shock::lol:

Yes, they dump all their unsold 'stock' there when they get a new delivery in :evil:

The accomodation is appalling as is the 'advice' the Adopter is given

:evil:

HAHAH naa .. I dont know any other pet store chains appart from pets at home lol ...

just that when i went in the store there wasn't any rabbits out at all.. so i asked if they had any.. She said there is one from the rehome section but she isnt from a shelter or anything no one wanted her when we tried selling her ... so we put her in the rehome section

i got my rehomed bunny from pets at home thursday just gone - he was rehomed and had no teeth his owners had no room for him any more

The way i see it - even if it is old stock that they are putting in the rehome section - its possibly giving them a better chance than not being sold at all and most likely going back to the breeder (or god knows where) and ending up as a baby making machine. As long as they tell the truth to potential adopters - which it seems they are doing - due to a lot of people knowing it is old stock then its up to the person adopting to make their own decision.

Yes, they dump all their unsold 'stock' there when they get a new delivery in :evil:

The accomodation is appalling as is the 'advice' the Adopter is given

:evil:

Jane, if you have problems with your adoption section then I'm sorry about that, but I do take offence when you make a sweeping generalisation. Myself and my store team take the adoption scheme very seriously.

but I do take offence when you make a sweeping generalisation. Myself and my store team take the adoption scheme very seriously.

My comments are not about adoptions scemes, but the pet shop generaliseation (sp) as it annoys me too.

I think this is a very valid point. Big chains may not "care" the way we do, but some shops are lucky enough to have staff who do. At the end of the day, the staff make the branch what it is.

I work in a chain store too and i know all about the complaints etc, however the branch i am assistant manager for try and make things better. We all care deeply about the animals, vet all potential owners and explain about products, hutch size etc etc.

Its very hard having a HO choosing what you sell etc, so we make the most of the products we have.

It is extremely hard to juggle rescue and pet shop work. However, i like to think myself and Lspacehopper do good work advising people. I have regular bunny clientelle who have changed their ways because of my advice. I ensure people are given the correct advice by myself and staff about animals. I put off more people than i sell to.

I do however understand why all pets shops are tarred with the same brush, however, i think the work i do is good and i pride myself on the work i do.
I may not make a difference to the chain, but i do make a difference in my branch.

Back