• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Those who rehome rabbits

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
As some may know I volunteer under an Rescue and do all the rabbit home visits and most things rabbit.

When I do a home visit as well as gaining all the necessary facts I work on gut instinct too. So far, my gut instinct has always been ignored by the branch, yet every single one where I have raised concerns has gone wrong (like seriously, every single one, be with where the person has rehomed their rabbit and broken the contract, where the rabbits have been neglected severely, things like that). The Rescue has always just taken the accommodation facts, etc, and spoken to the person and not trusted my gut instinct, although it is always proving reliable.

I'm wondering whether other rescues or people who rehome or do the home visits do pay attention to gut instinct? and how that affects what you do?

I'm getting very fed up and demoralised with this rescue I have been working with and am not sure how much longer I will be with them. It's all pointless when they completely ignore what I have to say and they effectively ignore the home visit result and just listen to the person themself.

As some may know I volunteer under an Rescue and do all the rabbit home visits and most things rabbit.

When I do a home visit as well as gaining all the necessary facts I work on gut instinct too. So far, my gut instinct has always been ignored by the branch, yet every single one where I have raised concerns has gone wrong (like seriously, every single one, be with where the person has rehomed their rabbit and broken the contract, where the rabbits have been neglected severely, things like that). The Rescue has always just taken the accommodation facts, etc, and spoken to the person and not trusted my gut instinct, although it is always proving reliable.

I'm wondering whether other rescues or people who rehome or do the home visits do pay attention to gut instinct? and how that affects what you do?

I'm getting very fed up and demoralised with this rescue I have been working with and am not sure how much longer I will be with them. It's all pointless when they completely ignore what I have to say and they effectively ignore the home visit result and just listen to the person themself.

yes we listen to our instincts ...i once didnt and the bun died ...even though everything seemed to point to a good home...so now i do ..

means we sometimes may miss out on a good home if my instincts are wrong ...but better than a bunny suffering .. :(

Not rabbits but with our gerbil rehome we do rely a lot on instinct as well as the home checks etc. Unfortunately we cant know all of the time - as i have learnt the hard way. No matter what checks we do we could always still end up being wrong. I think if something keeps nagging at you about a person even though they tick all the boxes its best not to rehome as you will probably be thinking about it all the time and wondering if you did the right thing.

Yeah I have done homechecks in the past and said it just doesn't feel right, even if accommodation etc is ok. Luckily I have been listened to. It is hard to explain to the person who is being homechecked but I think most rescues would rather turn down 5 good homes on an instinct that let one bun go and be neglected because instinct was ignored.
Have you pointed out to the rescue that you have been right every time?

Yes I have :( They are more interested in rehoming than what the rabbit is going to and its ALWAYS me that has to pick up the pieces.

Yesterday I had a visit that just gave me such bad vibes despite having gorgeous accommodation. I can rationalise and explain it but with the lovely accommodation I think they will ignore me. I've delayed reporting back to them because I fear what they have to say and that some buns will go there.

I can't bear it.

I don't know why they don't have any trust in me at all. I have been there 18 months and homechecked for roughly 100 rabbits, I have done bondings for them, educated people, fostered, they refer people to me, etc, and yet they still don't listen despite knowing I know my stuff.

It's recently come to light that they don't do what's in the best interests of the animals though, and that's probably where the problem lies. They are more concerned about people and bad press.

Sadly some rescues are more interested in getting rehoming figures high than finding the right homes.
of course we all feel good if we rehome lots of animals but we turn down about 4 times as many homes as we accept..

We have a large rescue centre who let bunnies go to new homes 2 days after their neuter ops:(...my personal opinion is that is much too soon

Its a shame they don't trust your judgement more..I would suggest talking to the person in charge , explain how you feel and say you may leave if things continue the same way...it may help:?

She's the problem, well, her and the deputy manager. My supervisor gets me and listens and trusts me but she is away and she also gets overruled.

I really don't want to be one of those people who 'threaten' things and then for them to not come to pass. If I'm going to leave, I sort of think maybe it's just better to do it? I have planned to tell my supervisor that i will train up other home visitors because right now no one else knows anything about rabbits.

I just feel so sorry for the poor animals that are going into these situations. I just think gut instinct is so important.

Just out of nosiness, what do you say to people in a situation like that? "You're doing everything right but I just have a bad feeling about you"?

I agree that it's important but it must be a hard thing to deal with.

In this situation there is a specific reason to say no, that could be used and turned into the interests of the person.

However, the whole thos of the place is about rehoming the right animal to the right person, so you could go down the route of we feel this isn't the right animal for you and explain why, but then don't offer an alternative. At least, that's how I would do it.

I wrote my report, it's not very positive but I do wonder what they will decide to do in terms of rehoming.

Tricky isn't it - I tend to try and work out whether I would be happy leaving my own rabbits there for boarding, and if not, I try and unpick what it is that is bothering me.

But yes, when I home check for others I do feel that I am listened to if I have a gut instinct that something isn't right :)

Back