• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

litter training advice?

Loz

Young Bun
My buns have a litter tray with carefresh in, and a hay box in their pen. Max does everything in the carefresh, Molly does everything in the hay! I've tried placing her soiled bedding in the carefresh tray, I've tried splitting both trays 50/50 and I can't get her to go! I know it's not the hugest of problems but she's weeing allover her food and it's annoying me lol! Any ideas?

Or would you advise that I just give up on the carefresh front and just use hay, seeing as Max would probably use that too, and it's much cheaper?

My two have carefresh and hay in one end, Dumpling is very good and always uses it, Stew isn't (but that may be because she is now disabled) and goes wherever, took a few weeks for dumpling but he got there in the end!

Well since they've been here overnight Laura, they have been impeccable! No bumbles anywhere but in their litter trays. The trays have got Megazorb on paper topped with hay. Baring in mind that I get the hay by the bale, I don't mind that they wee and poo on it and it gets chucked out and refreshed when needed. I do put their special hay in the bowl though as that is a bit too pricey to wee on. They are loving the oat, wheat and barley!

Very peaceful here today with no chasing. Not much loving either it has to be said, but I think there will be in due course. Only a tiny head lick from Molly Moo following a bit of banana head on Max :lol::lol:

Can you remove the hay box for now and just have the litter tray which has the carefresh base and some hay on top. If you are worried about them messing on the hay, can you hang a hanger of hay above the litter tray so that they can eat whilst they poop in the correct tray.

There are lots of things you can use depending on your set up. I have used http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=55157&highlight=feeder post 10 which works well for my nice edible hay.

Well since they've been here overnight Laura, they have been impeccable! No bumbles anywhere but in their litter trays. The trays have got Megazorb on paper topped with hay. Baring in mind that I get the hay by the bale, I don't mind that they wee and poo on it and it gets chucked out and refreshed when needed. I do put their special hay in the bowl though as that is a bit too pricey to wee on. They are loving the oat, wheat and barley!

Very peaceful here today with no chasing. Not much loving either it has to be said, but I think there will be in due course. Only a tiny head lick from Molly Moo following a bit of banana head on Max :lol::lol:

Well glad to hear they're being clean at your house :p
I tried to order some Oat, Wheat & Barley from the hay experts after seeing how fast they munched it at yours! But think the site is having some issues so will try again later!

Can you remove the hay box for now and just have the litter tray which has the carefresh base and some hay on top. If you are worried about them messing on the hay, can you hang a hanger of hay above the litter tray so that they can eat whilst they poop in the correct tray.

There are lots of things you can use depending on your set up. I have used http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=55157&highlight=feeder post 10 which works well for my nice edible hay.

I have removed the hay box now. Was a bit worried that they wouldn't eat from a hanger/rack but I'll give it a go :) If all else fails I'll just have to get used to buying a lot of hay!

Thanks guys :)

I have never used cat litter or any kind of litter. I have a washing up bowl, its lined with newspaper and I put hay in it. They poo & wee in there.

When I was training them I "collected" any stray poos and put them in the "washing up bowl" = now they are litter trained.

Buns LUV to eat & poo at same time - and I find this works for me!

Back