• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help! How do we go on Hols? We now have 15 buns!

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Somehow or other - we now have 15 buns (well actually that might just be 16 . . . as a girl was handed to me by a nieghbour today after being found in the streets - and I do have a boy with no girlfriend . . . ).

We have been taking seperate holidays for a few years now to make sure one of us is always with the buns which is kind of sad.Especially as Steve (my partner) works away from home most of the week so we really need a break together.

Obviously the days of us going on 2 week hols are long gone - we can't afford to what with the vets bills etc etc! However we really really want to get away for a few days together - We'd like to spend 5 days in Florence!!

So what should we do? I used to have a rabbity friend that came and let them out and put them to bed - but what with their now being 5 houserabbits and 10 outdoors (oh yes did I mention the 4 hens and the 2 tortoises and the cat?) its really all too much for her to fit in - I was paying her £35 a day to visit twice a day but she says she just doesn't have the time.

We can;t get a professional house sitter as they insist that the house is empty apart from them and we have a lodger/friend, and besides which they may not be any good with rabbits - The lodger can look after the cat and tortoises and hens but not so good at spotting an ill rabbit..

Does anyone know a really really really brilliant rabbit boarding place that would take 15/16 rabbits???? Or a house sitter with HUGE amounts of rabbit knowledge that would house/rabbit sit despite lodger??

We did ask the local vets if any of the nurses would take it on but they are all petrified that one would fall ill and they know how much we care about them!

Ideas anyone?????

(PS In case you are counting the signature buns - alas Sweet Pea our eldest passed away - but we have had additions - Quickthorn came to take the place of Sweet Pea in Thistle's heart, then Comfrey and then today his prospective girlfriend)

Last edited:
Hmmm that's a pickle! Sure someone will be along to help soon!

Shame i'm not closer, i'd happily help you out as i'm jobseeking at the moment so have loads of time :(

What about a petsitter who will visit twice a day? Obviously this wouldn't be an option if you live in the middle of nowhere, but shouldn't be a problem to get someone suitable in a city/town

Unfortunately its very hard :( We only have 8 (4 of our own and 4 fosters), a hamster and a dog, and find it hard to on holiday!! :lol:

My mum usually looks after the 4 fosters, and my 4 go to boarding. I would start a new thread like 'Bunny Boarding in Cambridge needed' :) Some people on here are local to that area so may be able to help you out :)

Its a nightmare isnt it :( I do hope it all gets sorted xXx

I have 37 rabbits, a cat and a dog, but my uncle usually comes and looks after them during our annual holiday. He brings along my cousins and they don't mind. Try asking a trusted relative or friend:D

Relatives are great for that sort of thing - my mum always looks after mine.

As long as none of your buns are on meds or anything I'm sure even if they aren't very rabbit savy as long as you teach them the basics they'll be fine.

Hello, my names Laura :wave:

date dependent i would have space to look after your collection, I also accept chickens if they come with their own coop, could even take tortoise.

:wave: there are a few of my boarders on here - check out my website xx

Of cource there may be some one on here who fancies a holiday in Cambridge and would be willing to pay for it by looking after the buns.

It does get difficult doesn't it. At the minute, my Mum moves in cos we've got so many animals and all different too.

Trouble is, she wants to come away with us next year and I have no idea what I'm going to do as I've got a variety of animals that you generally can't find one person that is good with all of them :?

You get petsitters that come to your house - so are house-sitters too. Not sure if its something you would consider.

You pay the best petsitter you can find then you get a rabbit-wise friend to pop in every other day to check up on the pet sitter. We tellout pet sitter that that is what we're doing as well. Then you go on holiday and try not to check your mobile constantly for messages! That's what we do anyway!

Now you see I'm not far from Cambridge...lots of bunny knowledge....but if I came to bunnysit yours I'd need someone to bunnysit my 15!!:roll::? :lol:

I have chucks too!...no cats though and I thoroughly sympathise because I cant ever go anywhere either.

It does get difficult doesn't it. At the minute, my Mum moves in cos we've got so many animals and all different too.

Trouble is, she wants to come away with us next year and I have no idea what I'm going to do as I've got a variety of animals that you generally can't find one person that is good with all of them :?

I have that problem. If I was to go away with my mam and boyfriend at the same time, I'd need one person for the cats, one for the bird, one for hamsters and one for rabbit because I don't know any people who could cope with all of them at once

I have a fab neighbour, who actually asks ! when I am going on Holiday, as her son loves my buns so much. They also have their own bun too.

If OH had not offered to take us to Canada, I would be there like a shot! I went to Peterborough as a teen and loved it (more your neck of the wood than mine :) ) Wouldn't mine a bit of a break :)

ive had someone board once who had 13 rabbits, that was a busy week! :lol:

if you do it when its not peak time/in advance i think you would be fine, shame im too far away!

My fosterer is coming living at mine to look after 5dogs, 2 cats. 27 giant rabbits, 2 degus and 9 guinea pigs plus all the rescue bunnies & guineapigs and my boarders:shock:. She is bringing her 10 rabbits and 3 guinea pigs to live at mine also. We are only going to Barcelona for 4days

A lot of the girls at work do pet sitting - I have one that I use and trust with all my lot.

You're not too far from a Blue Cross centre - why not try ringing them, and any other rescues close to home and ask if any of their staff do private pet sitting?

Back