PDA

View Full Version : 7 week old dwarf lop

looby loo
11-07-2009, 04:23 PM
Having had a spare hutch empty for several months, we decided it was time it was occupied again. Yesterday we picked up two 7 week old dwarf lop sisters - now named Fudge and Misty. Fudge is apparently the runt and we thought we would have real problems with her. Not so. She has settled in really well and is bouncing around the cage, eating and drinking plenty. Misty is a different story. She has just sat in one place for the majority of the time. I've not seen her eat anything yet, but she has had a little water. I've just been out and checked on them and found what I can only describe as a blob of mucus on the hutch floor. I've cleaned it up and checked Misty. She seems to have a wet bottom with bits of sawdust stuck to her. I've cleaned her up the best I can, but dont know what the problem is. She seems very quiet in comparison to Fudge. Any ideas? I have two 2 year old female Rex rabbits and (touch wood) have never had a problem with them.

Sky-O
11-07-2009, 04:26 PM
She needs a vet ASAP. It sounds like something is not right and in a bunny that age she could very quickly deteriorate further because problems like this can be fatal.

Did they come straight from being with mum to being with you or were the3y separate from her for a short while first?

Tamsin
11-07-2009, 04:28 PM
Rabbits shouldn't normally leave home until at least 8 weeks old. Young rabbits are very prone to stress and gut upsets at this age so moving homes can cause problems.

Are you feeding them the same diet as they had before? Any changes need to be done slowly so no fresh food unless they've had it before and feed the same brand of dry food, plus plenty of hay of course. Any change in diet on top of the stress of moving and being so young can be serious.

Is Misty hasn't eaten since you got her you need to go to the vet now. She could be in stasis and need hydration and gut mobility drugs. She might also need syringe feeding.

looby loo
11-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Apparently they've been away from mum for a week now. She is worrying me. I thought she wasnt right last night but then put it down to just being in a new environment. I know this sounds a bit odd - but she also seems to have a funny smell?

looby loo
11-07-2009, 04:32 PM
I've given them the same brand of food and there is loads of fresh hay in the hutch. But she's not bothered with any of it.

Sky-O
11-07-2009, 04:33 PM
Could be coccidia then because that has a funny smell. Whatever the problem, she needs to go to the vet as soon as possible. Take them both so the vets can compare, and also treat them both if it is cocci.

I would also suggest calling the breeder when you have got back from the vets. It may be she already knows she has a cocci problem but equally, she might not yet know.

looby loo
11-07-2009, 04:36 PM
Thanks for that. I'm going to give the vets a call now. I'll let you know how I get on.

Sky-O
11-07-2009, 04:38 PM
Good luck. Please let us know how you get on.

biscandmatt1
11-07-2009, 05:23 PM
aww, poor bunny. hope she will be ok. let us know how it goes at the vets. x

Sky-O
11-07-2009, 08:00 PM
How did it go at the vets?

looby loo
16-07-2009, 11:03 AM
Sorry it has taken a while to report back - but my week has been dreadful. On the plus side, I am pleased to say that Misty is now fighting fit again after spending a Saturday night of hourly syringe feeding. However, Fudge then started to deteriorate yesterday and after taking her to the vets and finding out her gut had stopped working, we spent last night hourly syringe feeding her. My hubby took her to the vets this morning and, sadly, he has just phoned to say he had to make the decision to put her to sleep. I'm devasted, but it was the kindest thing to do. On top of all this I've just found out my mum has been diagnosed with the big 'C' word. Can my life get any worse.

Sky-O
16-07-2009, 11:07 AM
Oh I'm so sorry, what a horrific week you are having :(

I wonder if both buns problems were related. I would keep a close eye on the little lady still.

I'm sorry about your mum. I'm hoping that it's still in the early stages?

looby loo
16-07-2009, 11:12 AM
I'm going to keep a special eye on Misty. I'm hoping she's not going to miss her sister too much. My hubby is going to contact the breeder to see if they know how the rest of the litter are.