• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mopsy's bum :(

BeatrixPotter

Mama Doe
I posted a couple of weeks ago about the problems Mopsy was having with excessive drinking and weeing. I am waiting for the vet who saw her to get back from hols. Should be this week.

I have been checking her bum for wetness as advised by the vet, would have done anyway. Up till today its been ok.

Just now I picked her up to check and its soaking.:( No poo stuck to it just very wet with urine and quite smelly:(

What can I do?

Hi Becky, if there are no other reasons (like sitting in the wet, spilling the litter tray etc), then I'd go see a vet soonest. She may be in pain of course. It could be something as simple as an infection but I'd not leave it as it's been a while since you were first noticing something.

As there is a risk of flystrike if she's wet, I'd try and clean her up and dry her properly. If you can you could bring them both in, in the puppy pen.

If you need to see a good bunny vet and can't wait until your's comes back, then I'd go see Gill at Windlesham Vets as she lives at her practice so you will always see or speak to her or her other half (who is also a vet).

I don't think I'd leave it if you are really worried.

Hi Helen,
I'm pleased you are on here right now. I will bring her in and clean her up. Never had to clean a bum before so how do I do it? Silly question I know.

If it's just wee, then I'd gently rinse with some tepid water (I wouldn't bath/immerse her back end).

You could just try some damp cotton wool balls or a suitable cloth. If needs be and you need to properly wash her then something gentle like simple solution shampoo that is designed for animal applications. But rinse well.

Towel drying first and then if she will have it, gently blow dry on a cool setting. Most rabbits will tolerate this but you might need hubby's help to hold her gently. I always do this sort of thing on a towel on the floor so they can't jump down and hurt themselves. Also they don't feel that they are being picked up and are more inclined to sit still. If she won't have the hair dryer, then don't worry, just towel dry as best you can and give her something absorbent to lie on like vet bed or a dry towel.

When you have finished, I'd just check to make sure that she hasn't any inflammation of the skin, as if it's sore. If she has, then I still think that a trip to the vet might be necessary quick smart.

If you need me give me a call.

Helen

I have given her a wash which she tolerated very well. I checked for sore areas and there were none. She is now giving herself another good wash.

I will get her an appointment as soon as I can. Probably monday. I will check again later and repeat the wash if she needs it.

I just wish I knew what was up with her.:(
I have been crying over her this afternoon.:cry:

Back