• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Allergic Bunny

Daisylop

Mama Doe
Our local paper had a piece about a little bun who needed a home [they have a Pets in Need bit].Apparently this little one is" allergic to hay and wet grass and sometimes wheezes". He cant have hay at all in his hutch [they suggest paper] and cant be with any other rabbits that have hay!:( This got me thinking what would you feed him on if he cant have hay and would this affect his dental health?He is a lovely little thing [and I keep going back for yet another look!!:oops:]

Yes, that's interesting isn't it.

I wonder if he could cope with "Dust Extracted" hay as I understand it is usually the bits that shouldn't be in the hay, dust, mites etc that causes the reaction.

I would be very surprised if this rabbit actually had an allergy. Usually what owners/ rubbish vets say is an allergy is something like chronic Pasteurella or Bordatella

I agree Abbymarysmokey, we had a rabbit with Paturella and it was aggrevated by hay or straw or woodshavings (which I wouldn't use now anyway). We kept her on paper bedding and she managed ok with hay in a hayrack to eat.

I would be very surprised if this rabbit actually had an allergy. Usually what owners/ rubbish vets say is an allergy is something like chronic Pasteurella or Bordatella

so this bunny could be treated and possibly bonded to others and be ok with dust extracted hay in a rack?

so this bunny could be treated and possibly bonded to others and be ok with dust extracted hay in a rack?

Well I guess each case is different but Pasturella can often be kept under control with antibiotics and you could reduce aggrevation of the symptoms by providing dust free bedding (paper?) and hay. I can't say about bonding to others.

Back