• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

laws regarding raising and slaughtering for own consumption ..

bunnymadhouse

Wise Old Thumper
does anyone know what these are with regards to keeping / raising and killing rabbits ... :?

something has been brought to my attention today and i need to know if what someone is doing is actualy illegal :?

I think you are allowed to kill poultry and rabbits for your own consumption, but it must be classed as humane. How you prove it I don't know, though.:(

I was wondering this too I saw something other day which I cant get out my head.
I think its ok to breed/kill for food (i think) as long as you dont allow suffering and still seek treatment vet for illness while alive.
Although why anyone would need to in this day and age. I dont mind to an extent if they are doing this as long as the aniaml isnt suffering but to allow a animal suffering beacuse its just food is not acceptable and rspca would prob prosecute at one time (i think)

you can raise any animal for your own consumption and slaughter it at home (even beef etc) however you are not allowed to sell, barter or even give this meat to others.

"Killing or slaughter should be conducted without causing “any avoidable excitement, pain or suffering to any animal”. Anyone carrying out killing or slaughter, by means other than a free bullet, must ensure that the animal is restrained appropriately and is stunned before slaughter. "

you can raise any animal for your own consumption and slaughter it at home (even beef etc) however you are not allowed to sell, barter or even give this meat to others.

"Killing or slaughter should be conducted without causing “any avoidable excitement, pain or suffering to any animal”. Anyone carrying out killing or slaughter, by means other than a free bullet, must ensure that the animal is restrained appropriately and is stunned before slaughter. "

thank you ...

but it would be very hard to prove the animals have suffered once killed and butchered .. :(:(:(...so unlikely to have a case as it would be their word against one witness :(

thank you ...

but it would be very hard to prove the animals have suffered once killed and butchered .. :(:(:(...so unlikely to have a case as it would be their word against one witness :(

Have you witnessed the actual slaughter of the rabbits and are you likely to again?

the only thing i can think of is a camera of some sort if you can hide it, or take someone with you should you get the opportunity to see this again, on the QT of course, strength in numbers.

Have you witnessed the actual slaughter of the rabbits and are you likely to again?

the only thing i can think of is a camera of some sort if you can hide it, or take someone with you should you get the opportunity to see this again, on the QT of course, strength in numbers.

no not me .....

Last edited:
Do you know what qualifies as "humane" slaughter? I read somewhere in those articles that the animals MUST be stunned first, even on farm slaughter. So, if DEFRA/RSPCA were to investigate they would need to have some evidence of stunning apparatus. They would also need to show evidence of humane slaughter (as above, not sure exactly what qualifies as humane slaughter but there are surely instruments required, without which it would be evident this is not taking place)

I don't know about rabbit, but I'm sure small poultry doesn't need to be stunned, the killing must be quick though- decapitation or neck dislocation.

I don't know about rabbit, but I'm sure small poultry doesn't need to be stunned, the killing must be quick though- decapitation or neck dislocation.

That was from the defra website direct. Poultry may have an exception as, to be brutal, as it can be done quickly and cleanly but I would check up on it as I know in industry they have to stun the chickens first.

If they are killed in what is classed as a humane way then there is little that can be done. If it is just that they are being bred and killed for food then they are doing nothing wrong in the eyes of the law. If there is a question over whether the method used is acceptable then contact DEFRA and they can provide you with the details of who you need to contact, or try reporting it to the RSPCA - it is not really within their area but they are likely to know of similar situations and how to proceed.

Back