• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Im stressing myself....

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
As you all know Peanut is going in for his surgery on tuesday. and im making myself ill thinking about it. As im sure all of you know he has a recurring abcess which keeps coming back, and he has gone under G.A twice for it already. He has had this abcess since november ish 2008.

It came back worse this time and i had a choice. Metacam + Septrin for the foreseeable future, possibly life. or a make or break operation. I have chosen the operation because Peanut hates meds time. If it was jelly i probably wouldnt because she will eat meds of any food, so she doesnt notice.

Peanut wont, and he struggles and grunts and bits the syringes he gets so stressed and misrable. Our bond is destroyed, he runs away and lunges if i so much as try to stroke him, so i know the meds make him stressed.

I have opted for the op because i think, i would rather give him a chance at a happy life, and if it doesnt work then at least i know he isnt going to be pulled about for meds every day.

But i am beating myself up thinking "if it goes wrong it was my decision to do this"

The surgery has alot of risks. she said the risk of the GA is very low seeing as he has been under GA three times in his life, neuter,, flushing the abcess , and removing it. But there is a risk she could get his nerve and its high. She explained you cant see the nerve and while she will try as best as she can for her to get to the bit she is takingout, it is practically on the nerve.

There are many scenarious, but i just feel so awful for him.

I wont change my mind as no matter how scared i am its what i want to do for him, but what would you do, if he was your rabbit?

I really feel for you.

If one of mine were going through that I would do exactly what you have done which is look at the options and assess the feasibility for each one and how the bunny would react, then I would choose the option that would best suit that bunny. This is exactly what you have done, and I don't think anyone could suggest doing something different when you have looked at the options and assessed your bunny.

I think you have made the best choice for Peanut and that is all any owner can do.

I really hope the surgery goes well.

I'm just wondering why Septrin was the antibiotic of choice though as opposed to something stronger? I know of someone who will tackle abscesses only with a combination of meds, never surgery. I know that's not appropriate for Peanut, I'm just after some learning here :)

the abcess will only react to septrin. he has three different types of bacteria living inside the hock and septrin is the only thing that will work. they took a sample and sent it off to the lab in january/feb time

x

Ah right, thanks for that. Always on the look out for more info in case it ever becomes relevant for me and mine.

I really hope that Tuesday goes well for you all.

I so understand how you feel. I think that you have looked at the alternatives, & given Peanut's temperament, made the right decision, & need to hold onto it. We can only do our best at the time. I support you.

Abscesses in this area are difficult at the best of times. Am I right that the last resort of amputation is not an option because he's wobbly on his feet?

Have a smile! I keep looking at the other thread - " Is Peanut due that op yet?"

awwww hun, its deffo 1 million % the right decision.. Peanut wont thank you for a poor quality but extended life, but if this ops a success he will be your little boy again :love::love:

awwww hun, its deffo 1 million % the right decision.. Peanut wont thank you for a poor quality but extended life, but if this ops a success he will be your little boy again :love::love:

i hope so. he ued to be a happy b ut grumpy little monkey andnow hes just misrable. I feel like if i do meds every day he just wont ever be happy. because to him, its like i pick him up and am nasty to him every day. and he doesnt understand why.

mum isnt happy but im setting a cage up in my room. I cant have buns in my room as there isnt enough space but as he needs to be restricted i can set up that little red cage he had for his neuter, as he cant have a pen or anything for a few days.

I'll let Jelly out in my room and watch her very closey in the evenings.

im just so nervous. 40% survival rate is way to low.

I so understand how you feel. I think that you have looked at the alternatives, & given Peanut's temperament, made the right decision, & need to hold onto it. We can only do our best at the time. I support you.

Abscesses in this area are difficult at the best of times. Am I right that the last resort of amputation is not an option because he's wobbly on his feet?

Have a smile! I keep looking at the other thread - " Is Peanut due that op yet?"

yeh his ligaments 'slip' as he walks, the right like 1/2 the time, and his eft like 1/6 of the time, so if he had his leg amputated (right), it would make the other one much worse and if he slipped he would fall over.

The vet said shes not against rabbit amputations as she knows some live very happily but she said she wont do it to peanut because she thinks he will be misrable and i agree.

If it comes back he will become ill very quickly as there will be no capsule and it will leak into his bloodstream/bone etc, but what scares me the most is if the nerve gets damaged and he loses feeling in his leg :(:(

I was talking to my vet about abscesses the other day because one of my buns had two facial abscesses. She said that in her opinion a combination of surgery and long term antibiotics is the best bet. So I think you've made the right decision

I know how you feel about the med, one of mine (Autumn) wont stop growling at me ever since I had to give her meds for ileus. It was over a month ago but she wont forget and growls every time I try to touch her. It's really dented our bond.

I take it that the 40% chance refers to curing the abscess? Little Peanut has NO chance as he is. I hear your problem with meds. Will he take pain relief? Mine quite likes metacam - can't stand anything else!

You might consider alternative medicine to boost his immunity post op. There are things like echinacea which are more palatable. He might just take them on a leaf e.g basil. Advantage - you can give some to Jelly too, maybe get some rivalry going for the medicated leaves!

Maizey had a lot of probs. with abscesses caused by MRSA which is dicey enough in humans, so don't go on a downer. She also researched herbal meds extensively. May be worth a look. May help you in the long wait to do something which may improve his chances?

Just a thought, but can you get an injectable version of Septrin (Sulfamethoxazole Trimethoprim)? I have no idea if you can, or if you can use it in rabbits, but your vet might be able to advise

Sarah Jane.... (((((((((((((((((HUG)))))))))))))))))
I am hoping and praying that he is okay.
All fingers and paws crossed here.

I take it that the 40% chance refers to curing the abscess? Little Peanut has NO chance as he is. I hear your problem with meds. Will he take pain relief? Mine quite likes metacam - can't stand anything else!

You might consider alternative medicine to boost his immunity post op. There are things like echinacea which are more palatable. He might just take them on a leaf e.g basil. Advantage - you can give some to Jelly too, maybe get some rivalry going for the medicated leaves!

Maizey had a lot of probs. with abscesses caused by MRSA which is dicey enough in humans, so don't go on a downer. She also researched herbal meds extensively. May be worth a look. May help you in the long wait to do something which may improve his chances?

the 40% is coming through the surgery and making a full recovery over the next few days. there is no 'chance' of the abcess coming back as she hasnt seen it in his position before as theres on in the tendon and one in the actual hock so she cant give me a percent for it recurring as she doesnt know. its just 'possible'

Sarah Jane.... (((((((((((((((((HUG)))))))))))))))))
I am hoping and praying that he is okay.
All fingers and paws crossed here.

thanks :) do you want to come over on wednesday to see the little man? he wants a visitor! :lol: ill prob be stressing out thinking "is this normal" "should he be doing that" ill need a second opinion!:lol:

thanks :) do you want to come over on wednesday to see the little man? he wants a visitor! :lol: ill prob be stressing out thinking "is this normal" "should he be doing that" ill need a second opinion!:lol:

Will see if I can get a lift hun... and bare to leave the bubbas :lol: Only joking - course I can :lol:

Will see if I can get a lift hun... and bare to leave the bubbas :lol: Only joking - course I can :lol:

:lol::lol:

yay thanks, i know the day after ill be stressing majorly so will be nice to have someone to look at him too! he'll be in my room :)

Back