• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding my 4, some advice would be awesome!

Dommy

Warren Scout
at the moment i have 4 buns, Lola and Charlie were both Neutered on wednesday, and Cookie was neutered a while ago, and Jecht is only 8 weeks at the moment so obviously not gonna be Neutered for a little while so this is just so i know for the future and can prepare as ive never bonded rabbits before

i Have read up alot about bonding and everything a while ago and ill keep goin over it as i know its gonna be difficult with 4,

but what id rly like to know is whats the best way to do with 4 buns that all currently single, i have 2 males and 2 females. is it best to bond them into 2 groups first each 1male 1 female or maybe since they all, except Jecht atm are neutered once Lola and Charlies hormones die down make a trio and then introduce Jecht a bit later, or introduce them all together while single?

as far as i can tell, thru the cages they all seem pretty friendly towards each other, im not so sure about cookie and Lola since Lolas cage is on top of Cookies so they dont really see each other, but Jecht and Charlie are next to each other and have seen them Lickin each other, same with Cookie with both the boys and Lola

thanks for any replies

The hardest to bond will be your two boys together and two girls together so it could be an idea to get two stong bonds between those pairs first. Our four went together from two opposite sex pairs but it was the same sexes that were hard to pair, the females happily went with any male and vice versa.

I would wait for them all to be neutured/speyed and fully recovered before starting any bonding though otherwise they could cause alot of injuries to each other (on top of what they could do to each other when in full health haha :lol:)

Good luck when it comes ;) Would love to see pictures of them all :D

ok that might be a good idea, the 2 males actualy seem fine with each other thru the cages as they are next to each other but im gonna buy some NIC cube things to make a big one for when they are all bonded but half it in the mean time for Lola and Cookie, maybe tht will help them :p

and i know i definatly wont be doin it for a good few months untill jecht is neutered and recovered and everything

I would wait until all are neutered and recovered and bond all 4 at the same time,it means the bunnies only go through one bonding process.Bonding is stressful enough for bunnies [as well as for us!!!] :D
Good Luck

I personally would do one bond only with all four. This will mean that they will only have to sort out the heirachy once. If you bond into pairs and then a four you are mucking them about by forcing them to readjust their pecking order.

I don't hold with the idea that because a bunny is okay 'through the bars' that they will bond well. This often isn't the case. So, I'd just make sure that when the time comes, you have somewhere neutral that none of them has ever been, give them a litter tray with their hay in it and water and nothing else. And make sure that you will have time to sit and watch them for at least a couple of days and nights with no interruptions. Once you start to bond you mustn't split them for any reason (like going out shopping or work) or you will actually harm any chances of a good bond. Feed by hand or by scattering the pellets, if you put it in a bowl, a scuffle may ensue.

Bonding four won't be easy at all, but it's not impossible. It will possibly be easier if the buns are all new to each other though. Make sure you have something like a soft broom or towel that you can hold between them if they start to fight. You must allow some chasing as this is normal when setting the pecking order, but stop the bonding if there are any injuries or if you see blood. You will need a strong nerve, because fur can fly, normally does.

The one big thing that I always try and impress on people that do bondings for the first time is that you must restrict their space. If you don't they will probably choose to sit at opposite ends of the area rather than face up to each other.

Good luck.

Helen

I personally would do one bond only with all four. This will mean that they will only have to sort out the heirachy once. If you bond into pairs and then a four you are mucking them about by forcing them to readjust their pecking order.

I don't hold with the idea that because a bunny is okay 'through the bars' that they will bond well. This often isn't the case. So, I'd just make sure that when the time comes, you have somewhere neutral that none of them has ever been, give them a litter tray with their hay in it and water and nothing else. And make sure that you will have time to sit and watch them for at least a couple of days and nights with no interruptions. Once you start to bond you mustn't split them for any reason (like going out shopping or work) or you will actually harm any chances of a good bond. Feed by hand or by scattering the pellets, if you put it in a bowl, a scuffle may ensue.

Bonding four won't be easy at all, but it's not impossible. It will possibly be easier if the buns are all new to each other though. Make sure you have something like a soft broom or towel that you can hold between them if they start to fight. You must allow some chasing as this is normal when setting the pecking order, but stop the bonding if there are any injuries or if you see blood. You will need a strong nerve, because fur can fly, normally does.

The one big thing that I always try and impress on people that do bondings for the first time is that you must restrict their space. If you don't they will probably choose to sit at opposite ends of the area rather than face up to each other.

Good luck.

Helen

Ok thanks for all that advice, explains alot and helps!

Back