• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pets at home horse product.....Got a link!

FudgeMallow

Mama Doe
I was in P@H today getting a few willow balls and cat litter etc and was having a look in their horsey section and can across 2 large white bags and i had a closer inspection and it looks like hay inside!
I cant remember the name but one was in blue writing with High fibre mix and the other in green writing had Ryegrass mix??

Has anyone seen these before and can rabbits have it? When im next up i will takea pic if you want but just thought it might be ok and see if fussy fudge might like it :)

Also if anyone on here works at P@H do you know if you can order in megazorb? or even mention it to your bosses as you do sell horse stuff and it may be a good seller:D

Last edited:
I was in P@H today getting a few willow balls and cat litter etc and was having a look in their horsey section and can across 2 large white bags and i had a closer inspection and it looks like hay inside!
I cant remember the name but one was in blue writing with High fibre mix and the other in green writing had Ryegrass mix??

Has anyone seen these before and can rabbits have it? When im next up i will takea pic if you want but just thought it might be ok and see if fussy fudge might like it :)

Also if anyone on here works at P@H do you know if you can order in megazorb? or even mention it to your bosses as you do sell horse stuff and it may be a good seller:D

I've already spoken to the buyer about sourcing megazorb. I used to buy carefresh or biocatlet for my ratties and it was costing me a fortune, even with discount. As I've switched to Megazorb, they've lost my sales now.

I think it's the same as haylage...which rabbits can't have in case it ferments in the gut. I think it can the same effect as eating lawn clippings.

Also it apparently needs to be used within days, otherwise it starts to go off.

Ok thanks, i just thought it would be a change, but never mind :wave:
They will just have to get expencive hay experts hay :lol:

I think it's the same as haylage...which rabbits can't have in case it ferments in the gut. I think it can the same effect as eating lawn clippings.

Also it apparently needs to be used within days, otherwise it starts to go off.

My vet told me it was safe to give them haylage :shock:

She said it is perfectly safe to feed so long as the haylage itself hasn't fermented, and that rabbits don't suffer from botulism (sp?). :shock::shock:

i dont know if physically it is okay to eat but it has an expiry date of 7 days on it. i looked at it in store thinking "is this PAH version of a bale of hay" and never found out if it was ok for buns but it says once opened it should be eaten within a week, great for a horse but not for buns!:lol:

i dont know if physically it is okay to eat but it has an expiry date of 7 days on it. i looked at it in store thinking "is this PAH version of a bale of hay" and never found out if it was ok for buns but it says once opened it should be eaten within a week, great for a horse but not for buns!:lol:

Yeah, exactly...you'd need a hell of a lot of rabbits to eat it within that time! Not worth the risk IMO

and my thought was, why does it have to be eaten in a week? 'normal' hay doesnt have a sell by date so its obviously a different type of hay :?

It's because it's grass that's not been fully dried out in the same way as hay, so it's still damp and starts to ferment as soon as the bag is opened.

I know some people won't even feed haylage to horses because of the risk of mould, etc.

and my thought was, why does it have to be eaten in a week? 'normal' hay doesnt have a sell by date so its obviously a different type of hay :?

It has to be eaten in a week because it ferments very quickly. It has been air tight packaged while still damp, and this causes it to heat up. Once it is opened and the air gets to it, it starts to ferment and spores develop that can seriously harm the animal. It actually smells really nice when you first feed it. It's obviously no good for small animals as you won't go through it quickly enough.

It has to be eaten in a week because it ferments very quickly. It has been air tight packaged while still damp, and this causes it to heat up. Once it is opened and the air gets to it, it starts to ferment and spores develop that can seriously harm the animal. It actually smells really nice when you first feed it. It's obviously no good for small animals as you won't go through it quickly enough.

you learn something new everyday! :lol:

Back