• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ileus

Amy104

Warren Veteran
Autumn had a bout of bloat a month ago.

She has been spayed today - does anyone know if her chances of having gut mobility probs are going to be higher as she's had it before?

Autumn had a bout of bloat a month ago.

She has been spayed today - does anyone know if her chances of having gut mobility probs are going to be higher as she's had it before?

It depends on what the cause for the bout of bloat was a month ago?? If it was from an underlying pain or illness elsewhere then it is possible, if she is susceptible to it then it is possible, but she may have had a random bloat with no obvious cause in which case she won't be any more likely to get it again post-spay than any other bunny :)
GA's do have an effect on the guts and can cause ileus but as long as she has proper post-op pain relief and is encouraged to eat as soon as she comes round she will hopefully be fine. :D Just be vigilant over the next wk or two post-spay for any signs in reduced faecal output or eating.

Thanks.

There was no obvious cause - the vet said most likely something stressed her out though she wasn't exposed to anything different that I know of.

Part of me thinks it was the rich grass to blame.

I've had buns spayed etc before and I always keep a close eye afterwards just wondered if I should be extra vigilant with this one.

Thanks.

There was no obvious cause - the vet said most likely something stressed her out though she wasn't exposed to anything different that I know of.

Part of me thinks it was the rich grass to blame.

I've had buns spayed etc before and I always keep a close eye afterwards just wondered if I should be extra vigilant with this one.

I've had bloat here from rich grass too, our vet says he sees it a lot in Spring. I've also had bloat here from stress episodes. Hopefully your bunny girl will be just fine :D

Thank you. Probably me just being a paranoid bunny mum as I found out when I dropped them off my usual vet had left and I swear the other vet looked about twelve! Still both buns have come round nicely which is good.

Back