• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dunno what to do, U/D both home

donnamt

Wise Old Thumper
i took Pearl to the vets on Tuesday because she was breathing too fast, holding her head up in the air and even at one point had her mouth open, she was also very occasionally snorting. no sign of snot.

At the vets apart from her rapid breathing which she does at the vets anyhows every thing checked out as ok... no bad sounds, mouth was fine, chest sounded clear, temp was ok, tummy was fine.

she was given a shot of baytril just incase it was the start of an infection and i have 5 days of oral stuff to give her (day 3 now). the vet told me to monitor her and take her back if she got worse, snot appeared, she got depressed and stopped eating. none of these have happened

shes still rapid breathing.. a lot faster than the 50-60 bpm ive read about, but she was always been a fast breather since i got her.. and her lips are still a lovely pink colour, and she eating, grooming and playing like shes fine.. just a feeling all is not right is niggling at me.. snoting happened every now and again but its not constant

i feel like im over reacting cus to everyone else shes fine :cry::cry:

Last edited:
I would definately take her back to the vets, you know her better than anyone else so if you feel she isn't right then get her checked again :)

I don't think you are overreacting. You know your rabbit best and if you don't think she's right then I would take her back. We had a bunny some years ago and I just noticed she was inclined to "sit up" rather than settle down and she pointed her nose just a little up - I took her to the vets and she wasn't bad then but later she turned out to have Pasturella.

Maybe she needs a longer course of Baytril to ensure she's not brewing something

i took Pearl to the vets on Tuesday because she was breathing too fast, holding her head up in the air and even at one point had her mouth open, she was also very occasionally snorting. no sign of snot.

At the vets apart from her rapid breathing which she does at the vets anyhows every thing checked out as ok... no bad sounds, mouth was fine, chest sounded clear, temp was ok, tummy was fine.

she was given a shot of baytril just incase it was the start of an infection and i have 5 days of oral stuff to give her (day 3 now). the vet told me to monitor her and take her back if she got worse, snot appeared, she got depressed and stopped eating. none of these have happened

shes still rapid breathing.. a lot faster than the 50-60 bpm ive read about, but she was always been a fast breather since i got her.. and her lips are still a lovely pink colour, and she eating, grooming and playing like shes fine.. just a feeling all is not right is niggling at me.. snoting happened every now and again but its not constant

i feel like im over reacting cus to everyone else shes fine :cry::cry:

Aww hun i know what you mean, can you try to count the breaths she is taking? I would go back with her and explain how you feel and ask if it might be worth trying a different ant biotic as baytril often seems to do nothing.

Lionel was doing so many breaths a couple of weeks ago that Christabel could not even count them, it was probably around 400 bpm :shock: When we saw her earlier in the week she managed to count him and he is now doing 240 bpm so we think the depocilin is starting to work on whatever it is thats wrong (still don't know for sure :? ) xx

ive got her an appointment for tomorrow with the vet i saw on tuesday, 1 more day to give the baytril to work and the receptionist said if the baytril still isnt working they will probably try a different anti-biotic.. and as a back up i also have an appointment with the usual exotics vet on Tuesday evening if i need it..

not so scared now.. only gotta keep her happy for one more day and i get her checked again

thanx for the replies peeps, means a lot xxxx

Aww hun i know what you mean, can you try to count the breaths she is taking? I would go back with her and explain how you feel and ask if it might be worth trying a different ant biotic as baytril often seems to do nothing.

Lionel was doing so many breaths a couple of weeks ago that Christabel could not even count them, it was probably around 400 bpm :shock: When we saw her earlier in the week she managed to count him and he is now doing 240 bpm so we think the depocilin is starting to work on whatever it is thats wrong (still don't know for sure :? ) xx

i think over 100.. its hard cus she stops to groom half way thro :?:(

Donna, you know Pearl best. Im sure a vet wont shoot you down for being a concerned owner.
Everyone thinks im the mad rabbit woman, because I can spot my bunnys becoming poorly from a mile off :lol:

See if you can count her for 15 seconds and multiply it up.

I wish I could reassure you that there is nothing wrong with her but if you have a "feeling" I would say you are almost certainly right....don't let the vet put you off until it is too late like I did with Poppy. Go in there and nag them until they have tested for everything that exists. ;)

good luck :)

See if you can count her for 15 seconds and multiply it up.

I wish I could reassure you that there is nothing wrong with her but if you have a "feeling" I would say you are almost certainly right....don't let the vet put you off until it is too late like I did with Poppy. Go in there and nag them until they have tested for everything that exists. ;)

good luck :)

they arent putting me off hun, i really think they will do whats best for her :D

ill be doing a lot of reading tonight about every eventuality :D just not sure what they can test for if shes only showing signs to me :shock:

ill try the 15 seconds thing in a bit, i think im annoying them keep going in to check shes ok :oops::oops:

Donna, you know Pearl best. Im sure a vet wont shoot you down for being a concerned owner.
Everyone thinks im the mad rabbit woman, because I can spot my bunnys becoming poorly from a mile off :lol:

lol i know but as i said the the receprionist, shes no worse so we will have the same converstaion, but she re-assured me that if the baytril hasnt took the rapid breathing away they will try a different drug... even if i seem like a loon and they cant see a prob :shock:

Don't worry about taking Pearl back to the vets. I've spoken to my vets 3 times this week, and been in twice. They love animals too, or they wouldn't be doing that job. I'm sure they understand. Hope Pearl is feeling her usual self again very soon.

Don't worry about taking Pearl back to the vets. I've spoken to my vets 3 times this week, and been in twice. They love animals too, or they wouldn't be doing that job. I'm sure they understand. Hope Pearl is feeling her usual self again very soon.

im more worried about my in-experience tbh, i dont want to let her down :cry:

just scared cus shes the heatlhy one, its Alvins stasis usually and i know what to do

aw i hope pearl gets better, it does sound like something wrong. do you think she's maybe gettng passtruella? although ralph doesn't breath fast he is noisy at his breathing with snot.

My Alfie developed really fast heavy breathing this year, he points his nose to the sky when he is really struggling. I had loads of test done and couldn't find anything wrong with him.

He is now on an inhaler and is doing well, the vet thinks its some form of Asthma or an allergy.

It could be nothing like Alfie's but if your vets can't find anything its just something to bear in mind :wave:

aw i hope pearl gets better, it does sound like something wrong. do you think she's maybe gettng passtruella? although ralph doesn't breath fast he is noisy at his breathing with snot.

i hope not, but i am obsessively checking for snot.. altho im more scared she may have a heart problem :cry::cry:

and i have no idea what i should be looking for, written text is all well and good but without experience i dunno how im supposed to get her better.. my vet better be good as it seems ive came across my first bunny test.. on my angel too :cry::cry::cry:

thankfully ste is off to Scotland in a bit so i can cry myself to sleep tonight without him thinking im a lunatic :)

aw hun, i know when i got ralph i was in a right worrying state, was scared incase i didn't do the right thing with him and the rescue centre be cross with me but you can only do so much, just keep her comfy and cool as the heat effects them. ralph gets really bad when it's warm. sending loads of vibes for pearl.

i did the 15 second thing... he breathing alto silent with her mouth closed is about 39 breaths in 15 seconds, so this works out to 156 bpm a lot more than the usual 50 - 60 ive been reading about, shes not struggling when eating tho :? and shes grooming fine too...

i cant wait till today is over and the vet gets to see the snorting, its less sneezy/coughy than it was on tuesday and more snorty now if that makes sense :?..... everything is still dry and she still has pink lips... its so weird :(:(

My Alfie developed really fast heavy breathing this year, he points his nose to the sky when he is really struggling. I had loads of test done and couldn't find anything wrong with him.

He is now on an inhaler and is doing well, the vet thinks its some form of Asthma or an allergy.

It could be nothing like Alfie's but if your vets can't find anything its just something to bear in mind :wave:

i missed this post :oops:... thankyou ill deffo keep it in mind :D

Back