• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So Worried About Mr Bean :-(

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Mr B has been on Depocillin for almost 2 weeks (one injection every three days)
as he developed symptoms of a lower respiratory tract infection 4 days after his VHD Vaccination :cry: He has an increased respiratory rate and significantly increased lung sounds, left lung much worse than the right one.

Although he remains 'OK within himself' he is losing weight. Last three weights (done every 3 days) have been 1.94kg, 1.84kg, 1.82kg :cry:

I have a bad feeling about all this :cry: Mr Bean is only about 2 years old :cry:

How often are you feeding him?

I often find that bunnies fighting infection loose weight. Eddie has 3 meals a day and hasn't put on an ounce since he has been here :?

Some of my other bunnies have at least 3 meals a day mainly pellet based to keep their weight on. If any other rabbits ate that much they would be 10 stone and have a permanently dirty bottom but it only maintains their weights.

I also find weighing them too often sends me over the edge :lol: I usually only weigh every fortnight at the most :) Even the ones that I know are loosing.

Sending vibes for Mr Bean, hope he is feeling better soon:)

How often are you feeding him?

I often find that bunnies fighting infection loose weight. Eddie has 3 meals a day and hasn't put on an ounce since he has been here :?

Some of my other bunnies have at least 3 meals a day mainly pellet based to keep their weight on. If any other rabbits ate that much they would be 10 stone and have a permanently dirty bottom but it only maintains their weights.

I also find weighing them too often sends me over the edge :lol: I usually only weigh every fortnight at the most :) Even the ones that I know are loosing.

Sending vibes for Mr Bean, hope he is feeling better soon:)

He is getting 5 small portions of concentrated feed a day at the mo'
I have to weigh him every 3 days as the Depocillin dose is dependent on weight and I dont want to be injecting a too high dose of a Penicillin into him.

His left lung sounds just like the late Sarah's did.......:? :cry:

He is getting 5 small portions of concentrated feed a day at the mo'
I have to weigh him every 3 days as the Depocillin dose is dependent on weight and I dont want to be injecting a too high dose of a Penicillin into him.

His left lung sounds just like the late Sarah's did.......:? :cry:

:(:(:(

Have you tried Nutrical with him? It is safe for rabbits and is something that is really commonly used in the US.

When Summer's cancer was taking hold we couldn't keep the weight on her no matter how much we fed her, but with a pea sized amount of Nutrical twice a day her weight stabilised. I've also used it on a good few other buns with positive effects (especially to encourage eating after dental ops).

I've had an idea, don't know if it makes any sense though :oops:

Are you still using the air conditioning unit? If so i was wondering if that could be making his breathing worse:? Its obviously not the same as fresh air and with so many bunnies sharing the same air space it might be affecting him. I know it is difficult for you to have doors and windows open with foxes hanging around but was wondering if it may help to put him in a pen that has the best ventilation of fresh air?

Just a thought :)

Back