• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Urgent advice needed re Metacam - update eating now

cazh

Warren Scout
Hi again,

I seem to post on here every day these days about my poorly rabbit George :cry:

Tonight he has been fine until about half an hour ago when he started to lie down on his tummy, usually the way he has been on and off for weeks now. He went to the emergency vet the other night who felt his tummy and said there was nothing wrong. She said it might be his teeth as they looked a bit sharp, so gave him metacam and he's been fine since. He's eating fine and doing poos which is a good sign. He has been eating tonight but slightly less than usual but has done lots of poos in his litter tray. He's just all of a sudden started to lie down funny and is refusing any more food.

I think it must be his teeth. The vet seemed to think his teeth weren't that bad and advised me to go for another dental in a few months.

Do you think I can give him a drop or two of metacam in case he's in any pain or do you think that will make him worse?

I'll try syringe feeding him some recovery food tonight and take him to the vet if he gets any worse.

I'm so upset right now :cry: he's just always getting ill and i have no idea if its teeth related or something else...

Last edited:
When my bun does that it's because he has bloat. I can't tell you that is what your bun has - only that is what mine does - pushes belly to floor and refuses food, and it has happened immediately after eating and pooing sometimes - it can happen that quick. Research at some Uni here in the UK showed that buns push their bellies to the floor to relieve gas - but all us rabbit owners knew that anyway! They should have just asked us!
Did your vet say you could give some more metacam if you needed to?? If so, then I would give it, but I would think that if it doesn't get better and he doesn't start eating within an hour that you will need an emergency vet again tonight. If vet didn't give you any instructions to give metacam then phone the emergency vet now and ask if you can give some and/or bring bunny down. This is what I do and they often say yes - go ahead and give it. That way you cover yourself.
I hope your bunny is better soon?! Please keep us updated!
This does sound like an ongoing problem - I think you need a vet to do more investigations asap or find a better vet. Good luck :)

p.s. if you go down to the emergency vet (which I think is needed if he doesn't pick up very soon) then make sure they give George a thorough abdo exam, pain relief and possibly fluids too. It really does depend on what is wrong, impossible for us to guess, he does sound like he is in pain from his belly and that he needs a vet though. Hope it all goes ok! :)
It might be worth encouraging him to hop around and giving his tummy a rub. If it is gas in his tum he might also benefit from some infacol - this is pretty inert stuff and not prescription. I do think that you need to call the vet though - even if just to get advice by phone - I expect they'll say bring him down though.

Last edited:
The vet felt his stomach on Tuesday and said it felt normal, as did the emergency vet before. He's nto eaten anything unusual and has been eating lots of hay. He perked up straight away after the metacam they gave him on Tuesday and they said the only thing they could find wrong with him were some spurs on his back teeth which could be hurting him, but he said they didn't look very bad at the moment.

I think i'll phone the vet and see if I can give him metacam. If he doesn't improve i'll take him to the emergency vet and hopefully get him a dental a.s.a.p

The vet felt his stomach on Tuesday and said it felt normal, as did the emergency vet before. He's nto eaten anything unusual and has been eating lots of hay. He perked up straight away after the metacam they gave him on Tuesday and they said the only thing they could find wrong with him were some spurs on his back teeth which could be hurting him, but he said they didn't look very bad at the moment.

I think i'll phone the vet and see if I can give him metacam. If he doesn't improve i'll take him to the emergency vet and hopefully get him a dental a.s.a.p

Bloat can come on very quickly. It may have felt fine days ago - it can blow up of an evening. My bun's bloat will come on literally within an hour if that! I really do think that you need to call the vet now, see if you can give him some metacam with their permission - if he's eaten recently this will be ok, and then see what happens. My bun normally responds to metacam in exactly 30 minutes, and it was like it never happened, sometimes he doesn't and needs an emergency vet. But as this is recurrent I think there is something else going on - belly pushing is almost definitely gas in the tum but it could be something else, and he may be getting this bloat due to some other underlying issues. Stress is also a big factor - my buns episodes have nearly all been attributable to this. Underlying issues are 'normally' the cause of bloat/stasis but not always - sometimes it can happen out of the blue - I always assume these are stress episodes but it is wise to always think about the possiblity of an associated pain that triggers them. I hope he feels better soon and that the emergency vet tonight will help you out. Good luck :)

Last edited:
I called the vet and she said it was Ok to give metacam. I've given one drop so i'll see if he improves.. he's still lying down at the moment :(

I called the vet and she said it was Ok to give metacam. I've given one drop so i'll see if he improves.. he's still lying down at the moment :(

I can't really comment on what your vet has said but I do know that one drop is probably not enough! Again I can't tell you what to give but I think you need to call the vet back and ask them why so little? Normal dosing is 0.2-0.4ml metacam/kg body weight twice a day. So for my 1.5kg dutch bun this would be a minimum of 0.3ml and more like 0.6ml which is closer to 10 drops from my syringe! On one occasion in the early days that my bun had bloat I played it safe and undermedicated him with metacam - he didn't respond and deterioriated very quickly as the pain was not adequately controlled. I rang the vet again and discovered I had only given him half what he could have - he picked up a lot better after the second dose - I think you need to call the vet back, sorry! :)

I also think if he doesn't pick up then he needs taking down and an exam and probably some stronger pain relief via injection, fluids and a discussion as to what is going on. Has he done any more droppings? If you can syringe gently some fluids into him this may help - even if just a little. I recommend brewed and cooled herbal tea e.g. peppermint, fennel, cammomile. A gentle tummy rub, keeping him warm, perhaps lie him on your lap on top of a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel and keep tempting him with his favourite foods and some strongly scented leaves of herbs - try encourage him to eat. Whilst he is in pain he is unlikely to want to which is why pain relief and an adequate amount is so important.

Last edited:
Sorry for another post but an acute bloat like this can occur with an impaction or obstruction as well - this is why an exam by a competent vet is so important if he doesn't pick up in the next half an hour. This may be too long to wait. I only wait as I know my bun and his history. If your bun has been having symptoms on and off he could have had ileus and stasis for some time and potentially could have a blockage somewhere that has suddenly produced an acute bloat. I would personally get him down to the emergency vet tonight and get this under control before it escalates any further, he may need an Xray. I hope that helps, will be thinking of you and George and hoping he gets well soon.

sorry to hear about your bun. something definitely isn't right. one drop of metacam won't be enough to be honest. just as a comparison for you, my rabbits weigh 2.3kg and when they have metacam it's always 0.8ml to start with. when they had an anaesthetic they had 0.8ml twice a day, reduced to 0.4ml as they started to improve, and even when bisc broke his nail he had 0.8ml once a day for five days.

is your vet a rabbit vet?

i would ring them and ask why you can only give so little metacam and really, maybe be best to take him to a rabbit vet if you don't already.

you know your bun best and if you think there is something wrong, don't wait and take him to the vets asap, as they can go downhill so quickly as you know.

sending loads of vibes and let us know what happens. x

I gave a few more drops of metacam and he hasn't picked up. All he wants to do is lie down. He can barely stand up before wanting to lie down again. I really really dont' know what to do :cry:

He's done lots of poos in his litter tray and has easten today - does this mean he hasn't gone into stasis yet? Or is it pain from his teeth?!!?! I just don't know!! Shall I take him to the vet now? Sorry for all the questions i'm just at a loss as to what to do. :cry:

I gave a few more drops of metacam and he hasn't picked up. All he wants to do is lie down. He can barely stand up before wanting to lie down again. I really really dont' know what to do :cry:

He's done lots of poos in his litter tray and has easten today - does this mean he hasn't gone into stasis yet? Or is it pain from his teeth?!!?! I just don't know!! Shall I take him to the vet now? Sorry for all the questions i'm just at a loss as to what to do. :cry:

Hi, I couldn't sleep for worrying about your bunny so came back to the computer - YES! Take him to the emergency vet now - ring them first so they are expecting you.
He needs to be examined thorougly. Emergency vets can usually only do enough to keep him going overnight until he can see his reg vet in the morning, unless the emergency vet is your actual vet in which case they may be able to admit him.
An emergency vet can give him an injectable painkiller alongside the metacam you have given him and maybe even some more metacam, as they are two separate drugs, they can also give George sub-cut fluids - I would ask for these if they don't suggest them, rabbits dehydrate quickly.
He may also need a gut stimulant but it depends on whether or not he has an obstruction. Any vet can do these things - I know a rabbit savy vet is what you need but an emergency vet can do the basics just for tonight. Hopefully with adequate pain relief and fluids he might start to pick up. You may also need to start syringe feeding, it depends on how bad the bloat is. You can definitely syringe some fluids.
It's terribly worrying when this happens I know, our girl had an impaction and bloat not too long ago - the emergency vet was crucial. Good luck x

When you get back from the vet you need to keep him warm - this is very important - use some bottles filled with warm water or a heat pad. After a little rest you need to encourage him to hop around - I know this seems cruel - but it is vital for gut motility to keep bunny active, obviously within reason, he will need rest and peace and quiet as well.
If you start syringe feeding him and fluids too then you will need to do this through the night every couple of hours, giving him time to rest in between, and all the time offering him his favourite things to eat. I'd really recommend the following: strongly scented fresh herbs, herbal tea for syringing fluids, fruit puree or baby food mixed into critical care/supreme science recovery to make it more palatable, tummy rubs are very important and keeping him warm, and when he is not floppy to have a hop around. If you're not given critical care then mush up pellets with warm water. Use a 1ml syringe, cut the tip off using scissors and it helps the paste to come out easier. Ask the vet for syringes tonight if you don't have any.
Infacol is very helpful for bloated tummies and also Jane recommends gripe water - you can give infacol at 1ml every couple of hours or before each syringe feed. Buns need to keep eating to keep their GI tract functioning as you know, so once the pain and bloat is under control then you need to start syringe feeding if he won't self feed as buns that haven't eaten for 12 hours start to get into a risky place. First things however are pain relief and fluids.
Good luck, I can't stay awake any longer but I really hope you and poor George are ok.

Yes it could be low-grade pain from his teeth - this is something which can be addressed when he has recovered from this episode. Right now the crucial issue to deal with is his bloat/stasis.

I really hope you can find out whats causing his problems and fix them soon :( and i hope you and George are ok xxx

Hello,

So I got back from the vet at 4am - she was with George for a whole hour. After a long examination of his tummy she thought he probably had an upset tummy. She' gave him some baytrill and also gave me a 5 day course to take away and also a tablet that I am supposed to put in water and syringe into him as she also felt a lump of something (possibly food) in the stomach that wasn't moving. She said this tablet will help to break down whatever it is and also help sooth any pain. She also gave him a pain relief injection. She advised against metacam if he had a porly tummy.

He definitely improved once I got him home, wasn't lying down so much. Instead he is just sat upright in his litter tray- although he hasn't used it yet. He also has been eating bits of hay which is a better sign.

The invoice I have has the following listed - let me know if you think these are normal:

0.20 x Vetergesic 1ml Amp
Baytrill - give 0.4ml twice daily for 5 days
Zitec 100mg Tablet - (it says cinotidne - or something like like, i can't read her writing on the bag) to be given 1/2 a 25mg piece crushed and mixed with water every 8 hours for 2 days.

She said to book an appointment tomorrow - but do you think he'll need to go back for more pain relief today?

Thanks for all your advice.

P.S please send lots of vibes for a poorly George, he really needs them right now x

The Vetergesic is the pain killer and it only lasts about 6 hours. So he may well require more today.
Is he drinking? It is very important to keep his gut contents well hydrated.

It sounds as though he was also given Cimetidine which is an anti GI ulcer medication.

Where did the Vet think the 'lump' was exactly ?

Hello,

So I got back from the vet at 4am - she was with George for a whole hour. After a long examination of his tummy she thought he probably had an upset tummy. She' gave him some baytrill and also gave me a 5 day course to take away and also a tablet that I am supposed to put in water and syringe into him as she also felt a lump of something (possibly food) in the stomach that wasn't moving. She said this tablet will help to break down whatever it is and also help sooth any pain. She also gave him a pain relief injection. She advised against metacam if he had a porly tummy.

He definitely improved once I got him home, wasn't lying down so much. Instead he is just sat upright in his litter tray- although he hasn't used it yet. He also has been eating bits of hay which is a better sign.

The invoice I have has the following listed - let me know if you think these are normal:

0.20 x Vetergesic 1ml Amp
Baytrill - give 0.4ml twice daily for 5 days
Zitec 100mg Tablet - (it says cinotidne - or something like like, i can't read her writing on the bag) to be given 1/2 a 25mg piece crushed and mixed with water every 8 hours for 2 days.

She said to book an appointment tomorrow - but do you think he'll need to go back for more pain relief today?

Thanks for all your advice.

Oh dear i'm so sorry about poor George! :(

Erm....I personally wouldn't be too happy with her exam or the medications she has given sorry. :(
Vetergesic - great! But it can make them sleepy so don't be surprised if he is a little lethargic from this. It's a strong opiate painkiller and exactly what I was hoping she would give. Did she give fluids as well though?? sub-cutaneously?
I really wouldn't want to give a bun with bloat/stasis an antibiotic - this can in my opinion make it worse, antibiotics should only be given when a vet is certain there is infection. It is unlikely to be an infection if bloat or stasis related in my opinion. At the very least a probiotic should be given if antibiotics are insisted upon.
The Zitec i'm assuming is a gut motility drug?? normally this is given orally by a paediatric solution such as Maxolon - metclopramide, or cisapride, i'm not too certain about it being in tablet form but suppose anything is better than nothing. If she thinks she can feel a blockage then I really do think that she needs to be a little more clear on this....if it is an impaction then your bunny needs fluids first and foremost - either sub-cut or orally if you can start syringing them in.
I'm so sorry poor George is unwell - I hate to be the one to say this but I think you need to start phoning around for a rabbit-savy vet to take him to today for a check up and more advice/medication. Vetergesic can be given 12 hourly, I think he will definitely need more pain relief this afternoon or tonight.
Fingers crossed for you he picks up in the meantime. :)

Back