• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need advice approaching someone about rabbit care

charlie82

Mama Doe
My sisters neighbour has a rabbit that has been there for about 6 months now. He is sat in a hutch in the middle of the drive at the front of the house, his hutch is open to all of the elements as has no cover and shelter from trees etc, it's literally stood there. When it rains it goes straight in the hutch, and I have no idea how he survived the heat last week.

He never seems to have anything in there such as bedding or hay, and has never been seen out of the hutch. I can't bear to keep seeing him sat there, it's really upsetting me. The lady who owns him is not that approachable, so I thought about maybe sending her some care leaflets through the post from the RWA and a little note..

I don't want her to know it's me as she will probably start on my sister, but would it be wise to put my e-mail address on the note as I would take him off her if she was willing to give him up...

That's a really good idea. You can't not try and hlp. You could put your email address on it as a way she can contact you if she is in trouble but you may end up with unwanted abuse or she could work out it is you if you have your name in your addy. You could always set up a completely new email address for that purpose and close the account if anything nasty happens.

Good luck :wave:

That's a really good idea. You can't not try and hlp. You could put your email address on it as a way she can contact you if she is in trouble but you may end up with unwanted abuse or she could work out it is you if you have your name in your addy. You could always set up a completely new email address for that purpose and close the account if anything nasty happens.

Good luck :wave:

yeah i'm worried that she may e-mail me pretending she wants to give him up, and then actually cause me trouble, but I have to at least try and get through to her. If she genuinely wants help I will give it to her.

I will just try and be really polite in my note and say I mean to cause no offence.

yeah i'm worried that she may e-mail me pretending she wants to give him up, and then actually cause me trouble, but I have to at least try and get through to her. If she genuinely wants help I will give it to her.

I will just try and be really polite in my note and say I mean to cause no offence.

That may indeed happen. I find most of the time when I try and help people in much the same way they just ignore it.

That may indeed happen. I find most of the time when I try and help people in much the same way they just ignore it.

I know. If she ignores my advice and doesn't at least move the hutch I will call the RSPCA. I know they can't actually do anything but it might at least scare her.

The last time i approached someone about rabbit care - I ended up with a badly neglected rabbit with deep issues (My Ella)
I fail to see how someone would think it was ok NOT to cover a rabbit up and leave it in the middle of a drive way - dear god :roll:

Poor rabbit - I hope you manage to get him out of there. A few years back I reported my sisters neighbour to the RSPCA for neglect - unfortunately it resulted in my sister getting a brick through her car window as they thought it was her who had reported them!!

Back