• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can a bunny be happy by herself?

bunny foo foo

Alpha Buck
In other words, does a bun need a friend to be happy? I posted the thread, "Bonding 2 females," and people told me to get them spayed first. I can't do that. My parents don't have the money to do that. Because neither of them have jobs...
Anyways, can a bunny be happy without another bunny? And are their any specific needs I should accomadate for a single bunny? :?

In other words, does a bun need a friend to be happy? I posted the thread, "Bonding 2 females," and people told me to get them spayed first. I can't do that. My parents don't have the money to do that. Because neither of them have jobs...
Anyways, can a bunny be happy without another bunny? And are their any specific needs I should accomadate for a single bunny? :?

If you want your bun to be a house bun and live in a space with you so you then become her companion some say this is ok. I personally don't agree with this sentiment and think a bunny should always have bunny company unless there are severe aggression issues caused by a bad experience in the past. Can your parents not get work? Could you not get a paper round or weekend work? How about a bit of dog walking or pet sitting so you could save up for spaying?

I'm sure others have said how important it is to get females spayed for health reasons so it would just be shortening her life to not get her done. You could then get an already neutered bunny from a rescue to bond her with.

Lola loved being a siongle house bun. Yes she loves Lucy but also loved the attention she got and being the "main attraction" but as I was off work and spent a lot of time with her.

In an IDEAL world, yes it would be better to get her some company of a bunny kind - but not everyone lves in an IDEAL world.

How old are you? (Not being nosey - just asking) and its nothing to do with anyone that your parents dont work - we are not here to judge - we are here to help:D :):)

Oh really i can get a neutered bunny?

Yes. Most rescues will not rehome un-neutered bunnies or to people who have an un-neutered bunny as bonding is made extra tricky. Rescues want to ensure their animals are neutered so "accidents" don't happen and they end up with even more on their hands :wave:

If you are a bit short of cash I would save your money to look after the bun you have rather than take on another one :)

While I prefer to have pairs, i had a single house bun for over a year and she never seemed unhappy.

Oh really i can get a neutered bunny?

Yes :) Many rescues prefer to get rabbits neutered before they are rehomed. It will probably be cheaper to get a neutered rabbit from a rescue, than to get a rabbit from a pet shop/breeder and then get her neutered at the vets. Rescues usually charge much less than the rabbit has actually cost them in food/care/vet bills.

As Rhian33 says, you really have to have a female rabbit neutered for her own health, it's not just to prevent unwanted babies or to help them bond with other females. (Apparently most female rabbits will get uterine cancer by the time they are five years old, if they arent neutered.)

My own personal experience of one rabbit is that yes a single rabbit CAN be happy. It may depend on the rabbit though I guess - they all have their own temperaments like people do. Again, if you get a rabbit from a rescue you can ask them about the rabbit's personality.

Cat's point about companionship is very important though - if your rabbit doesnt have a rabbit friend, then YOU have to provide that company yourself. And I can tell you from my own experience it is very time consuming and changes the way you plan your days. (For example, I work full-time so now I get up an hour earlier so that I can spend some time with Muppet before I go to work. He's already spent all night alone so I couldnt just go off to work without giving him some company first, that wouldnt be fair on him.)

Have you thought about how you will afford all the vaccinations that a rabbit needs? There are three every year (two for myxi and one for VHD) and they cost roughly £15 to £20 each. That's £45 to £60 for each rabbit. What about emergencies or will you be able to afford pet insurance? Sorry, I dont mean to put you off but if you dont have much money, these are all things you need to think about!

My parents have the money to pay for vaccinations and important things like that. We wouldn't have any pets if we couldn't pay for their shots and sickness and stuff. I'm 14. Not old enough to really work, but old enough to start a small buisness. I let Bella run around my room and Milly started attacking her cage to get to Bella. She didn't like her I guess...:roll:

If I were you I would keep her as a single house bun until you can afford to get her a friend. If your parents are at home they can give her attention during the day so I don't think that would be a problem. Your bunny is gorgeous btw!

I think that Milly is gorgeous :love: You obviously love her very much and give her lots of attention.
I would not worry too much about only have one bun if she's a house bun as I have a house bun who spends every night in the house but her days with my other 2 rabbits in the garden and she's perfectly happy when she's inside on her own (i think it gives her a break from the boys).
You family's financial situation is none of our business and don't feel you have to tell anyone about it - you are doing really well with your lovely bunny and you are obviously a very kind bunny mum :wave:

meant to say if she has toys (the inside of a toilet roll or kitchen roll filled with hay is a favourite with mine) and attention from you when you are home from school I am sure she will be fine. Lots of hay to nibble and I have also found a treat ball (I fill it with my buns' food) that they push around is also good fun and not too expensive.
I am sure other people with have other good ideas - they like tunnels and things to hide in like carboard boxes and enjoy destroying them also which is great fun :roll:

Back