• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding 2 females.

bunny foo foo

Alpha Buck
My brother doesn't want his bunny anymore so i'm taking her! (Yippeee!)
I need help on bonding a one year old with a 6 month old. They are both unspayed. Thanks in advance! :wave:

I bonded an adult female and baby female once. I let them live as neighbours for a while before I attempted the bonding. Good luck.

Instead of the "Get them spayed first" can people try responding with " get them spayed then... " and follow on with an answer to the question.

Looking forward to hearing how the bonding goes

Yes, good point. Everyone here is very passionate about spaying and neutering, for very good reason!
I think what we mean is that your success at bonding two intact females is much lower than if they were spayed first.
Also a concern are the health risks associated with keeping the females intact (ex:cancer) at all.
I'm a new bun owner so I am sorry that I can't offer you advice on bonding females. I am in the process of bonding a neutered male and a spayed female right now and lucky for all of us it seems like love at first sight!
I wish you the same luck, but if you make this attempt and the girls wind up fighting (which is more likely before they're both spayed) it can make future bonding impossible between those two as buns tend to remember those nasty bouts. It may be best not to take that chance until after their surgeries.
Best of luck to you!

Yes definately get them spayed. My girls were two sisters who had always been together and once the hormones kicked in Chloe ripped poor Bella to shreds. Spaying them will help with bonding as it will help elimainate some of the agression. Once they are all healed you need to start them off in a small space which must be neutral to both bunnies. If you are worried or dont have any where suitable your local rescue may bond them for you for a small donation.

If they are to live in the same hutch that your current bunny lives in then clean it throughly with vinegar or disinfectant to get rid of her smell and if possible move things around so that it doesnt feel like 'her' home when they go in there. Good Luck

Yes definately get them spayed. My girls were two sisters who had always been together and once the hormones kicked in Chloe ripped poor Bella to shreds.

Does it just depend on rabbit temperament or is there a likelihood that two sisters living together will always fight prior to being spayed?

I was hoping to get two female eight week old sisters this weekend. I planned to keep them together, get them neutered as soon as I can, and then hopefully continue to keep them together. But I would hate for them to fight - don't want to be in a position where I have to separate them - don't have the space for this, and for this reason I don't want to risk getting a brother and sister incase they have to be separated prior to being spayed. What do I do???? :?

Does it just depend on rabbit temperament or is there a likelihood that two sisters living together will always fight prior to being spayed?

I was hoping to get two female eight week old sisters this weekend. I planned to keep them together, get them neutered as soon as I can, and then hopefully continue to keep them together. But I would hate for them to fight - don't want to be in a position where I have to separate them - don't have the space for this, and for this reason I don't want to risk getting a brother and sister incase they have to be separated prior to being spayed. What do I do???? :?
It does depend on the rabbits yes and it will depend on the rabbit as to if and when they get hormonal. Some vets will spay at four or five months again depending on the rabbits weight condition etc its worth haaving a chat with yours to see what their thoughts are. Even now the girls still chase each other and poor little Albert too luckily whenever they do Dutchie puts his foot down and stops it

Back