• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it just me?

Kepling

Young Bun
Is it just me or do other people not give their rabbits shop bought treats, i was telling someone id made trigger some and they told be i was being cruel, 'how would i like to spend my life with no more sweets' and i told them that he is getting treats now, just not ones that are basically a bag of sugar, the person that told me to give him treats show me a picture of how much treats they have for -one- rabbit and it was about an average sided kitchen bin leaking with store bought bags of sugar D:

So is it just me that finds them REALLy unheathy or am i doing the right thing by trigger and taegen?

I don't give my rabbit any store bought treats. They really are terrible. I just won't give my rabbit anything that can't be found in the wild. (Like, I doubt my rabbits would ever find bananas on their own, but they at least have the benefit of being natural and having many vitamins and things they need.) There is nothing cruel about not feeding a rabbit sugary treats. I think it's more cruel to risk their health with something unnatural than to feed them delicious natural foods.

Has this person ever fed a rabbit a banana before? Mine go insane over it! :lol: No cruelty in this house. :wave:

I used to, to be honest but now I dont! Since coming on here (I have so much to thank you people for!), I have reduced their pellets down and topped up their hay intake and now instead of buying 'treats', I buy different types of hay or grown your own grasses etc!

To be honest, I personally think it is all about education! I never thought I did anything wrong with my bunnies but since being on here, I realised how much I never knew about them.

I think its up to the individual what they feed their rabbit, you should be the one to decide whats wrong or right.

We choose to feed ours all organic :D no shop bought treats for them

Nope, my small furries don't get store bought treats either! It's not good for them and I sometimes wonder whether they contribute to all the stasis incidents that people have with their bunnies.

Not even our dogs get many store bought treats, and certainly not the usual sugar/salt/colour stuff!

I think the animals are a lot healthier for it.

Vera

I don't buy any special treats for mine, they get a little piece of apple or carrot once in a while, and posh hay and dried grass. I prefer to give them the same things rather than introduce all sorts of new and unnatural stuff, which might upset their tummies. You are definitely not cruel. :)

I think in general people think of treats as something sweet and that looks nice and colourful.

Whether that be for themselves, children or animals.
My children only have sweets at the weekend when they go see their grandparents, but i know children who have sweets every day and not just a small bag either.
I havent bought treats for floppy or my piggies.
They have plenty of veg, hay food and water i dont think they need anything else in the way of things to eat.
Claire

I dont give them the shop bought treats - I do buy the odd willow ball etc but not the sugary rubbish - mine like the free stuff that grows :lol::lol:

I don't give mine shop bought treats either, they occassionally get a carrot woodroll from the hay experts but apart from that any treat is fruit here

The only shop bought treats I give them are the 'Fenugreek Crunchies' which they LOVE.
Not very often though :)

Mine only get Vegetable Edges very occasionaly - i prefer to bake my own treats for them. It saves money, I can make them the flavours they prefer and I know they're healthy :D

Mine only get Vegetable Edges very occasionaly - i prefer to bake my own treats for them. It saves money, I can make them the flavours they prefer and I know they're healthy :D

How do you bake your own? That sounds like a really good idea :D

I used to buy treats from stores but none of my rabbits will eat them so i give them natural treats and they looovvvee them.

Mine don't get any treats either. They get pellets, hay, veg and grass and nothing else. The only 'treat' they have ocassionally is a bit of readigrass/dried grass

i grow bunny greens seeds for eric from the hay experts and he still gets excited about a couple of sprigs of basil and extra fine green beans - those are his 'treats' as he had darned expensive hay to munch on:lol: the only specific shop bought ones i have are fenugreek crunchies which i give to all my furries occasionally as a treat - although one is never enough for lord eric:roll: tough!:lol:

Mine don't get any treats either. They get pellets, hay, veg and grass and nothing else. The only 'treat' they have ocassionally is a bit of readigrass/dried grass

You must hate me when I bring them things like Treat-ums round then lol. Good job I haven't for a while ;)

Carrotys from the Naturals Range used to be Angels favourite.

Mine get apple or banana or raisins as a treat. They are sweet, & a lot of the shop-bought treats contain stuff I can't even eat myself:lol:

Back