• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lucky???

Crazylady

Young Bun
I recently lost my dwarf lop doe during her spay op and had started to think about adopting a rescue bun to bond with my neutered male as he was going to be paired with my doe after she recovered.

I went away for a few days for work and when I returned my mum took me out to my bucks cage and showed me the doe she had 'got' for him. I was horrified that she had just put them straight in the cage together but it would seem that they get along fine??

They have now been living together for just over 2 weeks and there hasnt even been any humping or scrapping at all....is this normal or is it the calm before the storm?

I am also unsure of what to do regarding spaying...obv I understand the health benefits etc but I am now too worried to put her or myself through it if I dont need to.

I recently lost my dwarf lop doe during her spay op and had started to think about adopting a rescue bun to bond with my neutered male as he was going to be paired with my doe after she recovered.

I went away for a few days for work and when I returned my mum took me out to my bucks cage and showed me the doe she had 'got' for him. I was horrified that she had just put them straight in the cage together but it would seem that they get along fine??

They have now been living together for just over 2 weeks and there hasnt even been any humping or scrapping at all....is this normal or is it the calm before the storm?

I am also unsure of what to do regarding spaying...obv I understand the health benefits etc but I am now too worried to put her or myself through it if I dont need to.

No that's called LUCKY! and love at first sight bonding - lucky you! :) It can happen they should be fine from now on. An op can break a bond yes but if she's left unspayed I expect her aggressive/territorial behaviour when she reaches puberty/adolescence will do that anyway or certainly cause some probs unless you're extremely lucky. So either way, without the health benefits which are huge, she needs to be spayed. If all still ok between them by time she is old enough to be neutered then he could go with her on the day of her Op and it might help maintain the bond, but you may need to separate before this time if her behaviour causes problems or if he interferes with the wound. If you do have to separate it's wise to keep them side by side if possible with a partition so they can still see and smell each other. But someone more experienced might say different.

I'm sorry you lost your girl during a spay, did they tell you why? I would want to know cause of death and if it was due to an underlying condition? If not, then I think I would want to find a different vet before getting your new girl neutered. I know it can happen, but it is a routine Op and I would want a vet with a good success rate and good post-op pain relief protocol.

Thanks for your reply Prettylupin :D

They said my doe went under too heavy with the anaesthetic/sedation and her heart rate dropped too low. They spent 40 mins performing CPR but although her heart was beating she wouldnt breathe for herself and so they let her go and they said she would have been brain dead by that point :cry:

I am a little concerned as I kept two of her babies (both boys) and this morning they have started fighting (they are 11 weeks old) so i have had to separate them and wait until they are old enough to be neutered but am worried incase she had some kind of genetic problem she may have passed to them.

I have discussed my fears for the new doe and the babies with my vet (who isnt actually the one who performed the op on my other doe- a visiting vet did it) and she has said to make sure that she is the one operating that day so she is fully aware of the possible issues. She has had 33 years experience of rabbits and even performed a spay on a pipistrel bat :shock: And she is the one who neutered my buck so I have faith in her but just not sure I could cope with loosing any of my babies....

Back