• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

She should not be getting a French Lop!!!

FudgeMallow

Mama Doe
A Lady i work with has a Female Mini lop. She lives in a 4ft hutch, rarely gets out of her hutch to run about and gets cleaned out once a week! She is fed a FULL bowl of mix twice a day (apparently she wont eat pellets:roll:) and she never eats hay so this lady never buys it :? Not only does she get fed mix she gets 2 handfulls of TREATS a DAY :shock:(She has a tin with mixed shi.tty treats:evil:)

When i said about getting her Neutered she said no its too expencive :roll:
When i said to change her pellets, she tried for 2 days and gave up because she wouldnt eat them.
I said stop giving treats, she did but gave in because she 'looked sad'
When i gave her a large bag of Alfalfa King oat hay and burns green oat hay her rabbit LOVED it, so she asked how much it cost i said £8 for one £4 for the other she said......"Im not paying that for a rabbit" :evil:

Now she is getting a FRENCH LOP :shock: and putting her mini in a 3ft hutch and giving the Frenchie the 4ft:shock::shock:

I said its far too small, she said it will only be until i can get a 5ft one, I said what about a hut, she said my garden is too small to fit a hut in :shock:

I said about neutering both rabbits and bonding them, She said No it cost too much to get them done so i said (I work weekends, she works full time with a husband) But ive had all 6 of mine done, its worth it!
She said yeh but you earn more :? (how can i considering i work weekends and have a car to run????)

I told her to keep him on pellets as thats what hes used too, She said "No im changing to a mix because thats what my other rabbit is on and im not spending too much money on a blooming rabbit"

I cant win :cry: I now have to live with knowing a poor animal hasnt got a great life.
I mean she does care for them etc and they get fed, cleaned out etc. But she wont take on my advice:cry:
Thats why im leaving my job and getting another one, i cant work with these people anymore :evil:

OH also she doesnt vaccinate her rabbits as.....and this is the best excuse ive heard yet..........My other 2 rabbits that were vaccinated died young so if i dont get these ones done then it shouldnt happen :shock::shock::evil: Sorry i have to laugh at that, come on what a pathetic excuse :lol: She doesnt want to vaccinate because IT COSTS MONEY :evil: :cry:

You just can't help some people, no way should a french lop be kept in a 4ft hutch, my french lop is only 4months old and already huge. I don't know what to suggest as some people just wont listen. I really feel for you having to work with such imbecile's:cry:

Please don't give up your job. Unfortunately, some people will never listen but some others will. I'm sure you can make a difference. :)

I cant stop thinking about this poor little boy :cry:

I wont be giving up my job until i find another one as if i did i wouldnt have my car and i wouldnt have my rabbits :(
I have applied to a few already so fingers crossed i can get away from the horrible pet shop :evil:
Some things people tell you is rediculous, i had a woman telling me that she doesnt feed hay because it makes her living room messy :shock: I explained how important hay is and she stormed out saying that i was telling her how to look after her animals properly :roll:
And another woman saying she had 15 rabbits a while ago, they were all seperate because aparently rabbits cant live together they just fight :roll: I said i had 2 pairs and i was told to seperate because they will kill each other :lol: I basically laughed in her face :oops:
And another woman told me that rabbits are rodents, i said no they are not and she said "Oh yes i think they are my dear, now dont tell me that im wrong cause im not" :shock::lol:

I think im going to try and direct her to Fife rabbit Rescue to get advice from someone who knows more and may talk sence into her. Or set my vet on her :lol:

I think i will ask for a few leaflets from rescues etc and give them to her, hopefully she will see sence :) I can only try and hope she does the right thing:)

Sadly some people think they know it all - when sadly they know jack s***! Sorry to be blunt but folk like this woman make me want to scream :evil: They wouldn't know how to care for an animal properly by the sound of it - cleaning a bun out once a week & feeding it a s*** diet in my book is not caring for the bun at all. In fact I view it as neglect :evil:

Our french lop Charlotte wouldn't even be able to turn round in a 4ft hutch let alone live comfortably in it.

I really feel for you because you've tried to do as much as you can, but sadly there are some people you will never change :cry: Would you be able to print some leaflets off the RWA website to give her to point out what she is doing is verging on neglect?

Oh goodness, that's awful. Unfortunately you can only lead a horse to water, you can't make it drink. You just have to keep trying. Well done for persevering though.

Sadly some people think they know it all - when sadly they know jack s***! Sorry to be blunt but folk like this woman make me want to scream :evil: They wouldn't know how to care for an animal properly by the sound of it - cleaning a bun out once a week & feeding it a s*** diet in my book is not caring for the bun at all. In fact I view it as neglect :evil:

Our french lop Charlotte wouldn't even be able to turn round in a 4ft hutch let alone live comfortably in it.

I really feel for you because you've tried to do as much as you can, but sadly there are some people you will never change :cry: Would you be able to print some leaflets off the RWA website to give her to point out what she is doing is verging on neglect?

Im going to give her some rabbit leaflets and if she does not act upon them and change then i think i will speak to the SSPCA to say that the rabbit is in an unsuitable hutch for his size.
But i will contact them and find out their recommended hutch size before making a complaint :)

I will not give up until somethingis done!
Its such a shame as she is going on holiday in 2 weeks so he and her other rabbit will be left alone for 2 weeks :(
I may ask if she would like me to take them and look after them :) just so they have company :)

Im going to give her some rabbit leaflets and if she does not act upon them and change then i think i will speak to the SSPCA to say that the rabbit is in an unsuitable hutch for his size.
But i will contact them and find out their recommended hutch size before making a complaint :)

I will not give up until somethingis done!
Its such a shame as she is going on holiday in 2 weeks so he and her other rabbit will be left alone for 2 weeks :(
I may ask if she would like me to take them and look after them :) just so they have company :)

I'm not sure she's allowed to just abandon them for 2 weeks - that would probably be considered an act of cruelty. I would offer to take them if you can for her holidays - it might give you some bargaining power and an opportunity to teach her a few things?? Or maybe not :?

I'm not sure she's allowed to just abandon them for 2 weeks - that would probably be considered an act of cruelty. I would offer to take them if you can for her holidays - it might give you some bargaining power and an opportunity to teach her a few things?? Or maybe not :?

Her neighbour normally looks after her animals but doesnt spend time with them! Only feeds them. I do hope she listens to me.

The only reasons she doesnt listen to me are:
1. I not a qualified vet
2. Im ALOT younger than her :?
3. Not sure she likes me too much :lol: Oh well:roll:

Don't give up! People do listen and absorb things you tell them at some level even if they won't admit it - you will have planted a seed of doubt in her mind - I would just keep gardening away :lol: ....you never know! :D Good on you for being brave enough for challenging her - it's not easy to do. Softly softly - you might be surprised at how much actually goes in!

Back