• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

antibiotic!

suzannem

New Kit
i posted on here a few days ago, my rabbit has ec and is on medication for it.
anyways she still wasnt eating/poohing properly so we took her back to the vets yest we've now got a probiotic and an antibiotic, the prob is the antibiotic. we've been told to put it in water half half with pinapple juice and she'll drink it, she isnt! what do we do? any tips on how to get it into her?can we syringe it into her mouth like we are with the probiotic and pancur?
thanks

What antibiotic have you been given?

edited to add. Are you sure you were told to put the antibiotic in the water? I have heard of people adding probiotic to the water but not antibiotic, but I may be wrong.

It will help if you tell us what the products are you have been given and how much you have been prescribed.

Was he given a gut stimulant and painkillers?

Last edited:
i posted on here a few days ago, my rabbit has ec and is on medication for it.
anyways she still wasnt eating/poohing properly so we took her back to the vets yest we've now got a probiotic and an antibiotic, the prob is the antibiotic. we've been told to put it in water half half with pinapple juice and she'll drink it, she isnt! what do we do? any tips on how to get it into her?can we syringe it into her mouth like we are with the probiotic and pancur?
thanks

Putting antibiotics into water is a terribly inaccurate and old-fashioned way of medicating rabbits and recommending pineapple juice to a bun in GI stasis is not a good idea at all - all that sugar from the fruit will make the caecal dysbiosis worse. I suggest you find a better vet more familiar with modern rabbit medicine. Antibiotics can be given orally directly into the mouth or sub-cutaneously by injection. Is your bun also on painkillers for her EC?
I really do think you need to ask for proper oral antibiotics or have them injected by the vet who can teach you to do this at home if need be, or find a better rabbit-savy vet. Is she eating/pooing yet? If not she probably needs pain relief + fluids and gut motility agents if appropriate. She will also need syringe feeding but pain relief and fluids are the most important at the outset. I would not leave her overnight not eating or pooing. I hope she is ok :)

shes been given baytril oral 2.5% 100ml.
i wasnt there when she was given these antibiotics but from what bf says it was related to cos she wasnt eating/poohing.
the probiotic stuff has fiber in it apparently and shes done a reasonable amount of poohs today. shes eating carrot tops/celery and hay out of part choice part persuasion (wafting it infront of her mouth til she eats it to get it out of way) and nuggets shes having a few but not as much as she should be. so shes eating, just not enough.
im in the leicester area, this is a new vets 4 us as our usual vet is always out on emergencys and we needed to get her there quick on saturday!

shes been given baytril oral 2.5% 100ml.
i wasnt there when she was given these antibiotics but from what bf says it was related to cos she wasnt eating/poohing.
the probiotic stuff has fiber in it apparently and shes done a reasonable amount of poohs today. shes eating carrot tops/celery and hay out of part choice part persuasion (wafting it infront of her mouth til she eats it to get it out of way) and nuggets shes having a few but not as much as she should be. so shes eating, just not enough.
im in the leicester area, this is a new vets 4 us as our usual vet is always out on emergencys and we needed to get her there quick on saturday!

Antibiotics are a bad idea for straightforward stasis cases - rabbits that have GI stasis (stopped eating and pooing) do NOT need antibiotics but for some reason non rabbit-savy vets prescribe them. They will just make the stasis worse and should not be prescribed unless the vet is certain there is an infection. I would just leave them off personally unless they were prescribed for the EC which i'm not sure they would be as treatment for an active infection of EC as far as i'm aware is a 28 day course of Panacur with bleaching the hutch on days 21 and 28 and giving NSAID to reduce inflammation of the nervous system, but I could be wrong??
Treatment for GI stasis should involve a proper exam of the rabbit, Xray possibly, but a good abdominal exam at the very least, sub-cut or oral fluids, and definitely pain relief. Is she on metacam? If she is not having pain relief this will prevent her from eating or wanting to eat by herself and the stasis without adequate food intake may progress. Gut motility agents are prescribed if no high obstruction and syringe feeding is important if bun not eating to keep the guts functioning.
I'm hoping your bun is on pain relief full stop for the EC, let alone the GI stasis - this is SO important. If she is doing some poos then this is good and she is not in true stasis anymore but I would be concerned that without adequate pain relief she may stop eating again and end up in stasis once more. I really do think that if she's not on pain relief that you need to get her some tonight, not just for the stasis but to protect from long term damage from the EC as well.
I would keep encouraging her to eat all night long, try fresh strongly scented herbs and anything that takes her fancy, if she's not drunk for a while I would suggest syringing some cooled boiled water or herbal tea very gently, just 0.5 ml at a time to avoid an aspiration pneumonia. If she stops eating and pooing then she needs to see a vet tonight, it can not wait til the morning. Tummy rubs may also help her guts move along as will encouraging her to hop around and keeping her warm.
Good luck :)
(Can't help with finding a good vet bit sorry, live in the South)

Last edited:
she is eating more now, ate 22g of nuggets thru the night which is good and theres loads of poohs :)
shes no longer showing any signs of the EC, her head turning stopped after bout 48hrs and her eyes stopped twitching and back leg came back after bout 24hrs. we are continuing with the panacur obviously. but the vet said it ws only suspected EC so maybe thats y she aint got pain killers?
shes got a check up tomorrow with same vet so i will bring up these issues with him for deffinate!

Back