• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dilemma-please help

Sarah86

Mama Doe
Hi Everyone :wave:

I haven't been on here for ages, since taking my job up last July I've been really busy

I don't want to go into it too much but I moved out of my apartment back in February after taking a break from my relationship, Poppy & Charlie moved back to my parents with me and went from having their hutch on the roof terrace and being out whenever we weren't at work to play on the terrace or roam around most of the house to having 12 hours + in my parents large back garden in a double zooplus run with a gazebo for shade and shelter and their tunnels etc.

However we have managed to work things out and move forwards and I'm moving back in with my o/h but I feel so mean moving them back here with me, at the moment they are still at my parents, I thought that perhaps I could let them enjoy the grass until the end of next month then move them back over here as when it gets wetter they won't be able to go out as much over there but here they can come in the house? I miss them an awful lot so please don't think I've dumped them on my parents or want to consider parting with them I just worry that they won't be happy moving back here there is no doubting that they are enjoying themselves, Charlie is binky mad anymore and always tears around like a loon but even Poppy has been doing it over there.

Also, Charlie has acquired a friend, there are a number of wild x domestic rabbits around my parents (another dilemma as to what I should do about all of them- will the rspca catch them and rehome them or not?) because some idiot let their pet rabbits roam free and breed, one of them an agouti doe comes to visit Charlie every day, they lay side by side (separated by the run) and even groom each others faces through the bars. I would feel completely rotten leaving her there so I'm considering catching her and bringing her with us, I can get a bigger hutch built to accommodate her but is it fair to do so, am I being daft not, will they miss each other? Poppy isn't bothered by other rabbits, she likes being groomed by Charlie but doesn't really give back and she's quite happy chilling out in her tunnel most of the time-very laid back, she also likes human company and plenty of attention.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated

Last edited:
What a dilemma....i dont think you should catch the wild bun, after all it is wild.

I don't think I have explained clearly enough, just downloaded the contents of my head without much thought, there other factors, we are making an offer on a house near my parents, it has a large garden which is why they are still at my parents, I didn't think that there was any point in moving them until we knew what was happening with the house, ie if we do end up buying it (private sale with no chain) then we could move in quite quickly and they could move straight there, if however that falls through and we should know in a few weeks then I will obviously want them back with me but worry that they won't be happy coming back. We will still continue to look for another house and ours will go on the market as we want to move somewhere larger with a garden so aren't likely to be remaining at the apartment in the long term.

Also Charlie's friend isn't strictly wild, she isn't owned but is half domestic, her and the others are fed by people and live in various gardens in the cul-de-sac. Charlie had befriended another one previously (back in March/April) a little black buck he was friendly, even let me stroke him, I went to pick up a hutch for him as I was going to take him in but whilst I was away the doe had come into the garden, he chased her but she attacked back, he wasn't hurt but it scared him off. My attempts to track him down and catch him afterwards all failed, it was difficult because I couldn't get into people's gardens and had broken my arm (again) very badly- he has recently disappeared and it is suspected that one of the people who live down the road dislikes the rabbits and is getting rid of them in a non humane way, I was absolutely devastated and felt guilty for not just catching him and putting him in a dog crate before I went to pick a hutch up which is probably why I feel that I should do something to stop this doe from suffering the same fate. I will call the rspca advice line but I have a feeling that they won't get involved :?

Do you have any idea how old the wold rabbit is and if it was born wild or if it is one of the ones "released".

It was born wild then I do not think you could take it in. If it was released then perhaps taking it would be for the best.

I think the best place for your bunnies is with you, but if you are going to move soon then waiting until you have your new house would stop the bunnies having to settle in more than necessary.

Good luck.

I'd guess around 6 months old, she has grown recently. She was born wild but is 'looked after' ie fed by the neighbours so is used to people. Perhaps I'm just being too soft worrying that they will pine for each other? Charlie seems to like having lots of rabbit friends for company- and other animals, when we move I'll definitely take two more in.

awww must be horrible.. when i moved out i only moved down the road so i had to make the decision to leave my cat George with my mom instead of confusing the poor sod and making him call a new place home even tho it was so close to old home. if id have moved further he would of came with me :D.. he wasn't dumped, he was seen daily by me and my mom was so attached it would of been cruel to take him from her for the sake of a few yards.. it worked out really well, so as much as you will miss your babies your mom may well be very attached now so a few more weeks/months wont hurt anyone and you could see them daily if you wanted to aswell :D

will give you some settle in time with your o/h ;) :love::love::love:

dunno what you should do about the wild pal, sounds really sweet :love:

My mum is very attached and has become a fantastic bunny mum, she's done loads of reading etc and is probably spoiling them far more than I do which is funny to say she used to have a bit of a giggle at the way my rabbits were looked after. She has also said she'll get two of her own when I move them back in with me its her birthday next month so I thought if I paid the adoption fee then she could get two at the same time that I move mine back in with me, I could buy them a new hutch and leave the other one there as their holiday home, they don't mind travelling and had been to stay at my parents before I moved back home for a while.

Last edited:
Back