• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

2 females under 1 **UPDATED**

sailaice

Young Bun
What are the chances of getting these two to bond? They don't know each other and at the moment are unspayed

Last edited:
It depends on the bun it is doable I would definately suggest getting them spayed both for health reasons and to help with hormones

I wouldnt even think about it until both are spayed.Hormonal does are a force to be reckoned with.:shock:

Our two unrelated female unspeyed does tried to kill each other from the word go (even when they were 12 weeks old) so I wouldn't risk it :D

Ok, well before reading your replies I put them both in a run together and they were actually ok.

Both girls are under one, we've named them Custard and Crumble and they are friends for our other bun Rhubarb who just loves them :love:

At what age can we get them spayed? The breeder we got them off said they'd be fine as Rhubarb was neutered

Mine spays from 5 months. It depends on the buns - I've had sisters try to kill each other at a few weeks of age & I've had another bun spayed at a year plus who lived in a group, with no probs:D

It really depends on the buns, i had 6 unspayed females living with one neutered male a few years ago and all were fine for a long time, two decided to leave the group of their own accord and jumped into next doors pen and bonded into that group. But i have had unspeyed females have serious fights which have ended in vet treatment. For a happier healthier bond i would recommend speying, it will also stop the possibilty of uterine cancer or anythin related to that area, i had a 7 year old unspeyed female end up with a serious pyometra (the uterus fills with puss) she had to be operated on and it was touch and go for a while but she did pull through. Having your girls done early they will be at less risk from the GA and they will be happier bunnies.

How old are they? I really would wait until they are spayed. They may seem to get along but one day you might end up with a very injured bunny :( I don't think you ought to take the risk. Bonding two females is difficult as it is but unspayed - yikes. Is Rhubarb male or female?

LOla & Lucy were bonded - Lola is about 4 months older than Lucy and they are both speyed. TBH it went like a dream - Lola is very dominant and Lucy is very quiet and docile and we really didnt think it would work but they are devoted to each other and its a joy to see them.

omg!!

Yesterday we picked up Crumble and Custard. We got them off a breeder, not good I know but they were in the paper free to good home. Custard 8 months old and Crumble one.

Custard was fine this morning, OH noticed she had drank quite a lot of water but didn't think anything of it. OH has just gone to let them out into their new run and Custard is dead. I am absolutely shocked to the core its made me feel sick!!

We've just phoned the vets to book them in to be spayed and health checked and been researching bonding etc. How has this happened? I can't believe it!

Oh im so sorry to hear this :( It is definately worth finding out what the bun died of in case it is something that can be passed to your other buns :(

very sorry for your loss :( It could be very many things unfortunately including just stress of moving, heat stoke (if you are somewhere hot or where transporting them in a hot car) or possibly being given a food that she was not used to. Personally I would consider getting a PM done to rule out anything contagous. Do you know if they were vaccinated again VHD?

My friend who is a vet said its very likely it was shock, that makes me feel worse., Like its my fault :cry:

My friend who is a vet said its very likely it was shock, that makes me feel worse., Like its my fault :cry:

I wouldn't have thought it would be shock unless something major happened while you were away. I would recommend a post mortem just to be on the safe side :(

I am very sorry for your loss. Must have been a terrible shock. Sleep tight Custard :cry:

She moved house and it was quite a distance in the car then she was left to settle in - I think what was probably quite a big shock

We are devastated.

Back