• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Emmergency vet trip and £200 poorer

cazh

Warren Scout
So tonight I got home and George (who i have written about several time on here recently because he often worries me to death), was lying flat on the floor. He looked really uncomfortable and wasn't eating anything. This has happens quite a lot when he maults, but he usually perks up with a few tummy rubs, cooled boiled water and some tlc. But tonight he didn't respond to anything and looked in pain so I took him to the vet. The vet examined him and couldn't find anything wrong with his tummy but gave him a gut stimulant and pain relief.

She did try and look in his mouth and saw that one of his back teeth was quite sharp. He went under GA not that long ago becasue of his teeth and now i'm worried he'll have to go under again to have his teeth checked.

There's no real reason for this post, just feeling a bit sad that he may have teeth trouble and have to go under GA for the second time in about 3 months. :(

I'm so sorry George has been ill again *hugs* :(
You may find after a few dentals his teeth start to improve, Bug's has now :)

You are doing a great job caring for him. I hope its something easily fixed. Whats is hay eating like?

hi
i have had a few with bad teeth and found that if you give them bonios (plain ones), stale bread were it is rock solid, weetibix, alafla and corn on the cob and leave thme with the middle part, this helps grind the spikes down, so it cuts down the regular ops. :love:
hope it helps. any more questions just ask. :love:

hi
i have had a few with bad teeth and found that if you give them bonios (plain ones), stale bread were it is rock solid, weetibix, alafla and corn on the cob and leave thme with the middle part, this helps grind the spikes down, so it cuts down the regular ops. :love:
hope it helps. any more questions just ask. :love:

Sorry but I wouldn't recommend any of those above foods for an adult bun full stop. All, with the exception of alfalfa (which is too high in calcium for an adult bun) are too processed and high in carbohydrates/starch and are likely to cause caecal dysbiois. I shouldn't think the ingredients in dog biscuits are ever suitable for rabbits who are strict herbivores.

The ONLY food stuff that will aid wearing of all teeth, and in particular molar/cheek teeth, is hay and grass. This is because a 'side-to-side' chewing action is what wears teeth in rabbits. Crunching on biscuits/pellets only uses a crushing action and will not give adequate tooth wear. Hay and grass contain abrasive silicates and so the more you can encourage hay/grass eating the better. We seem to manage the molar spurs on our two rescue buns with a high hay/grass diet.

There are also different techniques for burring molars and it is thought by a leading rabbit dentist that just filing off spurs is of no long-term benefit and that actual burring/rasping down below the spur line, sometimes below the pulp in some cases can help to readjust the mechanics of the jaw? - obviously adequate pain relief is absolutely essential. I hope your bun is ok :)
If you can, try to brush daily when bun is moulting as this can really help prevent too much fur being ingested and causing ileus. :)

hi
it works well with the amount that have come in to the rescue center that have had bad diets and awful teeth front and back. if it didnt work wouldnt recommend it. the vets agree to! plus it all things they have with their normal diet of hay, straw and super ecxel. all of them have never had problems as long as they are treated as a treat! rather then just feeding them on that all the time.

Back