• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

everything happens at once...*update-cystitis+dodgy poops*

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
matt is having more tests this week because his upper respiritory treatments haven't worked, he's having all the skull xrays etc...

and now...

...bisc has been quiet last night and today and i've checked him and he has wee on the underneath of his tail. then he did a wee on the floor which he never does. he keeps sitting in his tray and straining and pulling at his 'bits' and even when he's just sat around he looks like he is straining backwards with his tail etc. he seems a bit lethargic aswell, although eating and drinking and pooping is normal.

he has had cysitis in the past and these symptoms are the same so i will take him to the vets tomorrow.

but i wondered if metacam would help? i know no-one is allowed to say it's ok to give him some, but i just wanted to know if it would help? i always have some here and the vet lets me give them that at the first signs of anything wrong. i imagine it won't be pleasant for him, but is it painful?

forgot to say, he is actually weeing.

thanks.

Last edited:
he has had cystitis before, although it wasn't a rabbit vet at the time so might have been something else. the symptoms were the same though as he has now.

is it painful? bisc seems quiet. a little over tired but is hopping round the lounge. he just isn't quite himself though,

sorry to keep asking questions but bisc has some dried wee stuck on his tail and i have some petsafe wetwipes that i can use, but is it better to use just some warm water? and give him some metacam? thanks.

The Pet wipes will be fine to use

Yes, bladder sludge/stones can cause pain. I am not qualified to tell you to administer Metacam as its a POM and I am not a Vet.
You could call your Vets out of hours service and ask them maybe ?

i've asked them before about metacam and they said they don't know. the vet trusts me to know when they need it and always says it's fine when i've given them some. i'll go with my gut instinct and give him some i think. it would only be until tomorrow when i get him to the proper vets.

thanks jane.

just spent ages trying to clean bisc. he's obv done more wee's since i checked him and has dry wee round bum, tail, back of legs and on tum a bit aswell. i have cleaned him and it's difficult to remove but i got alot of it gently off and he has had some metacam and i can't wait for the vets to open. everything happens when they aren't open. grrr...

he enjoyed his veg reward after though!

what would cause this to happen so suddenly? the only thing that has been different lately is me introducing thyme, but he doesn't eat it anyway, or not alot of it.

they've also been on the grass more. other than that though there hasn't been anything different.

poor bisc. :(

i'm going to be at the vets so much this week!

just spent ages trying to clean bisc. he's obv done more wee's since i checked him and has dry wee round bum, tail, back of legs and on tum a bit aswell. i have cleaned him and it's difficult to remove but i got alot of it gently off and he has had some metacam and i can't wait for the vets to open. everything happens when they aren't open. grrr...

he enjoyed his veg reward after though!

what would cause this to happen so suddenly? the only thing that has been different lately is me introducing thyme, but he doesn't eat it anyway, or not alot of it.

they've also been on the grass more. other than that though there hasn't been anything different.

poor bisc. :(

i'm going to be at the vets so much this week!

It does sound like some sort of urinary infection or bladder sludge/stones. I doubt very much that thyme or grass would cause this. I would expect Cystitis or any urinary tract infection to occur particularly when bunnies are run down immune wise? I expect his breathing problems perhaps are related in this sense?
Our bun had a sludgy bladder once and really strained before urinating. It happened on two more occasions, following feeding of Kale, I don't feed this for that reason. So I would lay of the high calcium content veggies just until this urinary problem clears up. Kale, watercress, spinach, parsley and dandelions. Encouraging bunny to hop around can help a sludgy bladder as well. Hope he feels better soon :)

update

bisc does have cystitis and is on antibiotics for it.

he also started to do very dodgy poops aswell so has had a good dose of metaclopramide and metacam for that to stop it from becoming anything worse.

he's happy in himself and these antibiotics should get him sorted. if they don't he will have xrays etc. but we will see how he does on the antibiotics first.

so that's bisc sorted and matt is booked in for his tests and xrays on friday morning.

I expect Biscuits dodgey poos were the result of the discomfort from the cystitis. Hopefully the abx will sort that out and the metacam will help him feel more comfy.

yeh, that's what the vet said, the discomfort will have caused the dodgy poops. poor bisc.

he's much better today already so that's good. :)

doubt they'll be as happy when they realise they're off to the vets again in the morning!

Back