• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice re Elderley rabbit with liver tumour...

MissMinnie

Mama Doe
One of our rabbits Poppy is 8 years old now. Last October we discovered a lump in her abdomen and the vet confirmed that it is a liver tumour. She did lose a bit of body condition and her coat became a bit tatty. However, since then, she has a bit of metacam each day and is right as rain, running around, eating well and lovely coat.

We did not want to operate because in my opinion it is just buying time and I do not think that Poppy would appreciate it.

Just lately she has wet fur around her tail and appears to be leaking a glue like substance. My 10 year old rabbit had that but I cannot remember what was the cause. Is is just a bit of old age or related to the liver tumour?

One of our rabbits Poppy is 8 years old now. Last October we discovered a lump in her abdomen and the vet confirmed that it is a liver tumour. She did lose a bit of body condition and her coat became a bit tatty. However, since then, she has a bit of metacam each day and is right as rain, running around, eating well and lovely coat.

We did not want to operate because in my opinion it is just buying time and I do not think that Poppy would appreciate it.

Just lately she has wet fur around her tail and appears to be leaking a glue like substance. My 10 year old rabbit had that but I cannot remember what was the cause. Is is just a bit of old age or related to the liver tumour?

I think a trip to the vet would be wise, it would be helpful to know what it is exactly as it may be treatable alongside her palliative liver tumour care and make her feel more comfortable and less at risk of scald or flystrike whilst she is still with you. My female bunny is called Poppy :) I'm sorry your Poppy is so poorly :( but she is doing well at 8!
I'm just wondering if she is spayed?

i apprichiate you dont want to operate but many buns do pull through surgery at an older age (only you and vet can decide) i know sooty was spayed age 9yrs.... and coco had a dental age 7yrs.... both pulled through without problems. but were healhty before going under so this may have an impact i am not sure could it be incontinance? i think you better get your vet to check in case its something more serious. x

Thanks. Yes she is spayed. A lot of people on here will hate me but it is my opinion that just because there is a treatment available, it is not necessarily the right thing to do. I will take Miss Poppy to the vets to check but I suspect it is a symptom of old age and the tumour. I check her religiously in case of flystrike and scalding.

I don't think people on here will hate you hun :) People might disagree with our choice, but I like to think everyone is mature enough to respect that it is your decision and you've shown that you have weighed up the pros and cons, and she's seen a vet. I think people just get upset when people don't bother to take their pet to the vet, or decide not to have treatment for selfish reasons, or are ill-informed, and none of these apply to you :)

Thanks, that is very kind. All rabbits are individual. Rodney was aged 10 and had a severe calcium build up, but he wasn't stressed by the treatment and pulled through. Poppy is a 'rabbits rabbit' (I mean that she is an excellent companion but isn't fussed about people!!) and therefore would hate to be messed about with. She is in good condition and eating and running around. Luckily she is very short haired and remains very very clean. I will take her for another check up though to make sure.

Back