• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping the hutch dry!

clarebear

Mama Doe
I have real problems keeping Bramble's hutch and run dry when it's raining. I put boards down the side and a tarp over the top, but rain still seems to get in. He hates the floor being wet. Any tips?

I came home to find Peach's hutch is wet on the floor as well. I'm thinking of putting a batton of wood inside the hutch alongside the doors so that it stops the water running inside if that makes sense.

Any other ideas as Peach is most un impressed!

I have real problems keeping Bramble's hutch and run dry when it's raining. I put boards down the side and a tarp over the top, but rain still seems to get in. He hates the floor being wet. Any tips?

I also have tarp over the top of hutch..my partner attach a plank of wood too end which slides under the bottom of the cage...he then attached hooks round the side so the wood keeps it down and we hook it on to the hutch so stops its flapping if that makes sence..sooty and ginger are now dry when ever it rains:D

I have my covers from the ebay man, can't find the link on ebay now :? but this is his email cabj.design@hotmail.co.uk

And some pictures of my covers

DSC02052.jpg

DSC02050.jpg

Don't have any photos of my double hutch with the cover on my laptop, but if you search covers I think lots of other members have posted photos when recommending this guy

They were about £90 each but well worth it, they fit the hutches/runs perfectly (except for one bit where I measured wrong :oops:) and don't let any rain in at all, also keep wind out because they are custom made for the hutches :) Mine are thermal ones too so help keep them warm during winter. I have kept them on for summer and just rolled the front up and taken the bit of the front of Trip and Scarletts run :) So I just pull the clear cover down if it rains

Fantastic covers thank you....one question though. On days like today when it has totally tipped it down but also been quite warm and sunny will having the clear plastic down over heat the hutch?

This is my main conceren as I have water proof atm covers for the buns but they don't let light though and would make the hutch too warm inbetween showers/downpours! They are only pulled down over the top half of their hutch and today both hutches are soaked!!!!

Any help, ideas, advice much appriciated as Peach really hates getting wet and is obviously upset today.

Fantastic covers thank you....one question though. On days like today when it has totally tipped it down but also been quite warm and sunny will having the clear plastic down over heat the hutch?

This is my main conceren as I have water proof atm covers for the buns but they don't let light though and would make the hutch too warm inbetween showers/downpours! They are only pulled down over the top half of their hutch and today both hutches are soaked!!!!

Any help, ideas, advice much appriciated as Peach really hates getting wet and is obviously upset today.

Yeah I see what you mean, it will depend on your rabbits set up :) My hutches are in a part of the garden that is always shaded. I will pull down Trip and Scarletts clear cover and leave it all day, they live in the hutch/run combo though and there is no cover on the run at the moment and they spend most of their time in the run anyways. Buu and Beau are not in their hutches during the day so it makes no difference with theirs being down

At night I am pulling the clear covers down but not actually attaching them like your supposed too, just letting them kind of blow about or whatever. The hutches don't get too warm at night with the covers down. But obviously if your bun is in their hutch all day with no attached run, and in direct sunlight then yeah the hutch will overheat with a cover on in this weather x

HI:wave:
Have you tried getting a large board and putting on the roof of the hutch so that there's a significant overhang?

Another brilliant idea! Thank you. We have some large sheets of ply in the garage......*runs away to investigate* ;)

I'd love to get a cover made, at least from Bramble's run, which is where we have the real problem with rain coming in. However I don't really have the funds at the moment, so this will be an excellent FREE alternative! Thanks.

Back