• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Those of you who own dogs and rabbits?

GBNI

Warren Scout
Do you have to keep them totally seperate or is there a bit of interaction allowed?

I own three dogs, two of them are 'rabbit proof' as they are trained gundogs so play no attention to Adrian.

Adrian loves my little mini schnauzer :D When she goes out in the garden he bounces into his run (which is dog proofed) and waits until she comes over and then they nose rub! It is so cute. They are never left unattended though and as I said, the run is dog proof but Beastie had never ever tried to get in. She just gets a nose rub then goes on her way! :lol:

before the rabbits moved upstairs the dog and the rabbits were both loose together, now they are upstairs they rarely see the dog as i prefer him to be downstairs as Pearl is still quite nervous of him, and i like her lying on the bed with me :love::love:

Mine have never been seperated theres only the wire that does :love: in fact i'm sure floppy's had a word with scoobs about the great escape coz he keeps diging one big hole :?

my two dogs are fine with the buns, i trust them 100%

here are my dogs with my old bunny
Image0412.jpg

this is them with the new bunnies(looking for raisins)
Picture253.jpg

i have 2 dogs they all play in the garden together..you are the best judge of your dog..what is there body language (tail wagging..hair up on back etc!

My dog is fine with Daisy, although she did once take a flying leap off the sofa landing on him while he was asleep on the floor, casuing him to yelp in terror. They were both a bit scared of each other after that! I've yet to introduce him to little Jester bunny as the rabbits are currently residing upstairs but don't anticipate problems.

I'd never leave them unattended though.

Our of the four dogs we have, only one is safe and is allowed to say hello when they are out of the cages! The other three would jump at the chance of having them for dinner! So they are only ever allowed to say hello when the bunsters are safely locked away!

Our bunnies are in a room where the dogs are not allowed (unless invited in by us and under strict supervision)! Mixing them wouldn't be an option!

Vera

Mine are kept separate - They love visiting oscar in the garden and he just loves them as he comes running to great them...however I have two big dogs that are VERY playful and I wouldnt want to take the risk.
My youngest shepherd isnt quite sure what to make of yorkies let alone bunnies :lol:

Mine get on brilliantly, Lily even drops her ball near them thinking they will throw it back to her:lol:

Ours get on fine :) If its raining outside, buns come inside for a run round and Poppa is totallu fine with this :) When Ronnie was a house bun, he used to bully Poppa and steal her dinner etc :roll: xXx

Farley loves kasper (and any other small animal
When ever KAsper goses out side Farley gose with and stands over him protecting him.

She loves cats to.She once pulled a bully cat off of My delilah when it attacked her and then stood between the to until the bully went away

My three dogs are great with the rabbits, and they stay on guard against intruders like cats etc whilst the buns are free range.
In our house it's more likely that Hera (one of my giants) is more likely to nip the dog than the other way around:lol::lol:

I think it depends on your dog. My bun (see avatar) was a big ol' boy and he was staying with my boyfriends parents. They had a datsun and accidentally let Monster out for a run without realising the datsun was hiding in a bush, they thought she was inside the house. Despite my bun being twice the size of the dog he was killed instantly :( Please be careful.

I think it depends on your dog. My bun (see avatar) was a big ol' boy and he was staying with my boyfriends parents. They had a datsun and accidentally let Monster out for a run without realising the datsun was hiding in a bush, they thought she was inside the house. Despite my bun being twice the size of the dog he was killed instantly :( Please be careful.

Yeah size is not an issue, it's just predatory behaviour. That's why i will never risk my dogs meeting the buns. Obviously it depends on the dog but i know for a fact my dogs would eat the bunnies!

I'm sorry for your loss :(

Back