• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First bunny pics

Hi, although I joined this forum a while ago now when I rescued baby hope and her brother Tetley. Sadly Hope died due to the neglect she had suffered.
I have popped onto the forum every now and then to read threads for advice but never really posted.
Well, now I am here as I have just Tetley a girlfriend and need all the help and advice I can get. But first pics and info about my rabbits.

rabbitgarden.jpg

Tetley is a 1year old boy who I took with his sister, who was very poorly. he has been with us since he was tiny, and is a house rabbit that goes out during the day. How long for depends on weather. He is very loving, but doesnt like being picked up. If I sit on the floor he will rest his front feet and head on my lap and go to sleep. When I read my 4 yr old betime stories we sometimes let him in and he jumps up next to me on the bed and stretches out. But I cannot do his claws, and had to ask the vet to do them.

rabbitgarden1.jpg

This is my new girly, Rosie-Lee:love:. I brought her home from the rescue that I volunteer for on Friday. I don't know where she came from, but had 2 babies with her. I chose her for no other reason than she would not rehome very quickly:(. The others are either fluffy,or attractive colours. She seems to be settling in really well. Is good to pick up, although she is a bit worried she doesn't thrash like Tetley does. Is this just because she is worried? and when she gains confidence she will tell us where to go?

Ok, so help needed.
1- the rabbits have a good sized run in the garden which is divided at the moment while they get used to each other. The gaps in wire are big enough for noses to poke right through. At night/evening they are in. I am alternating one in cage and one out. So they are always with each other but not 'together'. How long do I leave it? I haven't seen any bad reactions yet.
FPS_0213.jpg

2 - clipping claws. how short? I did Rosie-Lee's tonight as a couple of her back ones were really long and starting to curl. I can't do Tetley's any hints?

butter wouldn't melt........aslong as he doesnt get picked up or feet touched.
FPS_0278.jpg

lovely bunnies, people suggest wrapping them in a blanket and if you could get your oh to clip the nails while you hold him. i cut till they are a few milimetres away from the pink part of their nails, black nails are harder and i'd trim them more often but take less off. very lovely buns by the way. tetley and rosie and gorgeous :love:

I know their run looks a bit bare at the moment, but I am planning great things, and looking for ideas to use the space with fun stuff for them. Any ideas welcome. I am going to ask other half to make wooden platforms of varying heights for them to jump on and climb under. Need tunnels and baskets for hay. I want to give them a digging tray aswel full of dirt, and grow some grass to graze as its a concrete floor.

your buns are gorgeous!! :love::love:

To bond them, put them together in a small area where neither has been before.
But make sure theres room to move around :lol:

There are plenty of experienced members here on the forum.
And im sure they will be along to help soon :wave:

hye you have a few options really the main 3 bonding versions are as follows
1.intensive: put them in a small area (probebly in house) where you can sit with them for 48hours minimum but it usually takes aroudn 3 -5days. and neutralise the penned area. put some tyos provide you neutralise them in there (white vinegar spray 99p in wilko is good for this) and keep an eye on them normal behaviours to establish dominance are fur pulling humping adn chasing tho this will settle dont seperate them even overnight and split them up if they start to fight and then try again (fighting is locking on and biting each other)

2.gradual
as you have currently been doing side by side then swap them over including hutches so they get used to both smells being everywhere then no one bunny sees it as thier territory... after doing this try letting them in together for short periods and see how they are.(this can and often takes a much longer time but again depends on the rabbits i had intended to do intensive with dora adn arthru but they managed to jump in together in the garden and were happy licking adn cuddling so i nthe end i left it as it was love at first sight... but be wary every bunny is different!

3. hit and miss. put them together in a large area so they can decide if want to be near or far and aggressive or passive to each other again keep an eye on them as they may well suddenly go for each other putting them in seperate hutches at night.... as the title expects this can be a hit and miss as some buns will take to each other immediatly some will try and attack i do not recommend this unless you have a huge amount of rabbits(ie 6+ already in the group) as the more bunnys the more smells get conceled and they worry less about sharing if already used to sharing with multi buns.

Back