• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

They don't like new run

bunny babe

Wise Old Thumper
We have built our two a new run to go on the side of their wendy house. The old one was very low so wanted to make a higher one and very solid so they can stay out of a night in the summer.

After all our hard work, they don't like it :cry: and won't go in it.

I think they must have felt warm and cosy in the old run and it was probably a bit darker.:roll: I have now put tarpauline over to make it a bit darker but still no joy.

Any ideas on how I can tempt them to go in there. I keep putting food in there but they go in, eat it and get back out.

try moving things that they like out there - bed, litter tray, hay etc so that all the interesting and familiar things are outside

once it smells like them and has positive associations they might enjoy it more

maybe some new toys or hide some treats out there?

Thank you for your suggestions.

I've put their "usual" mat in there a litter tray but they don't like toys, never have. Maybe I will throw some hay in toilet rolls in so they can trash it up a bit and make it feel like home.

Give them time :) It may take them awhile to get used to the weird smelling new addition and they'll have to test to make sure it's safe before the relax. If it doesn't sneak up and attack them overnight they might explore tomorrow.

I agree with what has already been posted.

Today I made changes to two of my avaries and whilst one pair were ok, the other two did not like it very much. After about 5 hours they were beginning to explore a bit.

I say give it time. When I moved my two buns into their new shed, it took a couple of days for them to be comfortable in there.
Put some of their familiar things in there, and leave them to it...they will soon realise it's theirs!!

I do agree with the others. When I moved my 4 bunnies into the shed and run they didn't go in there much at all. They love it now though x

Sounds like lovely new set up. Agree with the others - familiar things in there & give them time. ;)

I built two of my pairs extra extension runs along the sides of their shed about 3 weeks ago.
One of the pairs love it, but the other pair (who are the most reluctant to come out anyway, and are the ones I had the original idea for) never go in there:cry:

Back