• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

cat scare - what to do?

VikkiVet

Mama Doe
i'm still pretty shaken up, but i think the rabbits are ok

they were out in their run, one of those zooplus metal ones, when a cat came into the garden. they have met cats before with no problems. but it snuck around the side where the tarpaulin is and pounced along side the run. the rabbits panicked and Phoenix got her head stuck through the bars :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

we got her out again in under a minute - she was screaming :cry::cry::cry: - but i think she is ok. i cuddled them both for a while, they were really scared. they are now in the bathroom and both have eaten a couple of carrotys but Phoenix did drop hers so i think her jaw might be sore :cry::cry::cry:

i dont know what to do now? Dad said he will put square guage wire over the run so they cant get their heads through again. but what if that or another cat comes back? luckily we were in the kitchen and saw it straight away, but if i had been on the other side of the house i wouldnt have known :cry::cry: i dont ever want to hear her scream again, it was horrible. :cry::cry:

i am going away for a month so my Mum and Dad are looking after them, but they work and have busy lives etc so now i dont want them outside in the run unsupervised.

i am thinking of setting up their run and dog crate in my bedroom while i am away so it cant happen again. :cry:dont think they will like that idea though?

i hope she is ok, not sure if i should take her to the vet or just give her time to recover?

Hope she's OK. My neighbours cats think they live at my house so I don't leave my buns in a run on the lawn unsupervised. My dog keeps them away when he is outside though. I think the dog crate and run in your room sounds a good idea and your mum and dad when they are not busy could always sit and watch them in the run.

Oh good how awful :cry:

Personally I could not leave them out unsupervised now.

If Phoenix is having problems eating I'd take her to a Vet. She may have sustained a hairline jaw fracture :cry:

Oh no :( Poor babies :(

Do they have places to hide in the run? Ours normally bolt into a carrier or tunnel if they see/hear anything strange :( I definately wouldnt leave them in the run unsupervised now hun :( Such ashame. I do hope she will be ok. Send her hugs from Aunty Becky :) xXx

her face looks a bit swollen on one side and her eye is not as open on that side. but she is bright and alert and let you touch her etc. She is struggling to eat but still keen on food, just quite cuddly and needy. i think i'll take her to the vet in the morning.

they do have a tunnel, but there wasnt their carrier or house, which they usually have. i feel really horrible about that, as i think if they had their house she might not have bolted and got stuck :cry::cry:

Poor little buns!!!!Hope Phoenix is ok,best to just have her checked over.
sending lots of "stay away Kitty :no:" vibes x

her face looks a bit swollen on one side and her eye is not as open on that side. but she is bright and alert and let you touch her etc. She is struggling to eat but still keen on food, just quite cuddly and needy. i think i'll take her to the vet in the morning.

they do have a tunnel, but there wasnt their carrier or house, which they usually have. i feel really horrible about that, as i think if they had their house she might not have bolted and got stuck :cry::cry:

She might have done, you will never know. We have tons of willow dens, tunnels, houses etc in our bunny's run but when a sparrowhawk came into the garden chasing a sparrow my male bun Nino literally just bolted straight into the wire. Fortunately, being a hexagonal wire and not a welded mesh he just bounced straight off. (We live in the city centre and our back garden is surrounded by 7ft fences and a 15 ft wall and no urban foxes here, even cats can't get in our garden (if they could we'd used welded mesh) but it was still a fright). So she might have done the same thing even if you had put the carry cage in.
I think if her face is swollen she will need pain relief tonight, and definitely a vet check up either tonight or tomorrow. How about calling the emergency vet if you are worried and discussing it on the phone?
Can your parents secure the garden better against cats? We put some wire up along the top of the fences to stop them coming in.
I think if not, that exercising indoors would be safer if unsupervised. Hope bunny feels better soon :)

just spoke to the emergency vets, they said as she is able to eat and drink and her breathing is ok she should be ok for tonight, just sore. she's booked in for 10am tomorrow to get checked over. think i'll leave her alone now for the night to settle down and i'll make sure she gets pain relief in the morning.

parents arent too keen on having the rabbits in while i am away, even tho its in my room which will otherwise be empty but we'll see what happens. they have offered to buy a big hutch as a bolt hole, which is really nice of them.

will let you know how she goes...

Poor Bun, I hope she was not in too much pain overnight and that she has not sustained a fracture :cry:
Sending vibes xx

Last edited:
Hi, been to the vets. He doesnt think she has fractured anything, just her left eye is a bit swollen and her jaw. She ate all her breakfast this morning, allbeit slowly, so he has given her some anti-inflammatory and analgesia and some eye ointment until the swelling goes down. Dad is covering the run with mesh at the moment, and they'll only be going out there when supervised. there arent any cables in my room so they'll be allowed free range in there when the weather is bad or my parents are out.

i know Jane, if i could have given her some analgesia over night i would have, but she was fairly bright and active so i dont think she was in too much pain, not hunched up or anything. she's looking better already :)

Very sorry to hear you've all had such an awful experience. I sincerely hope that Phoenix is recovering & eating better today & that you are recovering from the shock too.

Back