• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nettle stings (guinea pigs)

Sam_Spice

Mama Doe
Hey, I'm wondering if guinea pigs can get nettle stings on their feet? I've just put our girls onto a patch where theres nettles (not yet gardened our new garden :lol:) and within seconds they starting jumping and running around stomping and licking their feet. I then got a sting myself and wondered if that was the cause?

Once I moved the girls onto a better patch with no nettles they were back to normal within about 30 seconds. On the same note are rabbits safe from them as they've got furry tootsies?

Thanks, Sam x

Hey, I'm wondering if guinea pigs can get nettle stings on their feet? I've just put our girls onto a patch where theres nettles (not yet gardened our new garden :lol:) and within seconds they starting jumping and running around stomping and licking their feet. I then got a sting myself and wondered if that was the cause?

Once I moved the girls onto a better patch with no nettles they were back to normal within about 30 seconds. On the same note are rabbits safe from them as they've got furry tootsies?

Thanks, Sam x

Ouch! ;) Well the buns in the wild seem to live in fields full of nettles with no probs, so I guess buns with thickly padded feet (not Rexes for example) would probably not feel the sting, but it may be a good idea to pull up the nettles first. Don't piggies have bare soles? ....I think yes, they were getting stung feet!
Buns can get stung from nettles if they try to eat them though!! I know this because our little girl was being naughty and leaning on her tiptoes over the bunny fence that goes around our borders nibbling at my shrubs/plants to get my attention....she does this when she wants my attention as she knows she normally gets 'shooed' away - when she spied a nettle (her first one) growing as a weed in the bed. I decided to let her learn her own lesson....she nibbled it and then tried to spit it out and was brushing her mouth with her paws! :( But it was quite funny too and she never did it again :lol:

If you cut the nettles (young tips) and dry them in the sun or bake them in a low oven (50-100 degrees) you can add dried nettle to their hay - mine love it! I dry my own nettles and jerusalem artichoke leaves and bag them in brown paper bags for feeding :D (Roll the fresh nettles first with a rolling pin to break the stings before drying! But drying long enough should remove them anyway)

Ouch! ;) Well the buns in the wild seem to live in fields full of nettles with no probs, so I guess buns with thickly padded feet (not Rexes for example) would probably not feel the sting, but it may be a good idea to pull up the nettles first. Don't piggies have bare soles? ....I think yes, they were getting stung feet!
Buns can get stung from nettles if they try to eat them though!! I know this because our little girl was being naughty and leaning on her tiptoes over the bunny fence that goes around our borders nibbling at my shrubs/plants to get my attention....she does this when she wants my attention as she knows she normally gets 'shooed' away - when she spied a nettle (her first one) growing as a weed in the bed. I decided to let her learn her own lesson....she nibbled it and then tried to spit it out and was brushing her mouth with her paws! :( But it was quite funny too and she never did it again :lol:

If you cut the nettles (young tips) and dry them in the sun or bake them in a low oven (50-100 degrees) you can add dried nettle to their hay - mine love it! I dry my own nettles and jerusalem artichoke leaves and bag them in brown paper bags for feeding :D (Roll the fresh nettles first with a rolling pin to break the stings before drying! But drying long enough should remove them anyway)

Oooh thats a fab idea for our nettles, how long do you normally need to bake them for?

Oooh thats a fab idea for our nettles, how long do you normally need to bake them for?

Until cripsy dry all over - shake them and turn them during baking. At 50 degrees it can take a couple of hours atleast depending on how many in your baking tray!
If any moisture in them they will grow mould when bagged up, although brown paper bags breathe so those are ideal.
You can actually dry anything - rose petals, marigold flowers, plantain, dandelions! :D

My bun has very furry feet. He stung his front paws as a baby. Mind we've got ginormous stingers round here! :shock:

Back