• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rampant Rabbit

Rosey

Young Bun
lol sorry for the title ;)

George is nearly 2 now, and goes through bouts of humping hands, tunnels anything really. He was neutered about 3 weeks ago now and it seems to have got worse.

We got a new rescue bunny, and they were getting on so well, layed together, grooming through the run etc, so this morning we put them together and George just would not leave her alone, and he is permantly trying to mount her. Nether one of them are being aggressive, and Missy just moves, but George is trying to climb back on again and again.

We have seperated them again, and I know its early days but any advice would be much appriciated please :)

Rosey x

I'm not an expert at all - so hopefully someone with more experience will come along, but it sounds to me like you need to give him a bit more time for his hormones to die done before trying to bond him with his wife-to-be (also if she has not spayed i think there is a small chance he can still be fertile 3-4 weeks after his neuter). We made the mistake of trying to bond hector with a girl only 3 weeks after his neuter and he wouldn't stop humping her - eventually she retaliated and bit his ear and they had to be separated. We then waited several weeks for hormones to subside a bit and tried him with Honey. ALthough there was still a bit of humping, it was MUCH less extreme (just asserting dominance) and they have been living happily together ever since.

When you do bond them make sure they are somewhere neutral/new to both of them.

Thanks :) Yes she has been neutered too, but was not sure how long after his hormones would still be raging lol

Hopefully things will settle down then.

x

Mounting is quite normal when bonding. It is possible his hormones are still falling post-castration but this to my inexperienced ear sounds like normal bonding behaviour and I personally would leave them to get on with it unless there is aggression involved, at which point I would separate. :)

Sorry for a bit of a thread hijack

I'm trying to put 2 of our rabbits together, Noob has been snipped about 2 months ago, but he just won't leave Jez alone for long. He's humping her all the time.
There's no aggression, and Jez just ends up laying on the floor and letting him get on with it. How long before he'll give up?

If you find out tripleD let me know ;) I have a feeling this is still going to be a problem for me down the line too.

x

It can take 6-8 weeks for their hormones to settle - people often see a spike in hormonal behaviour post-neuter as the hormones are still affecting the bun. Give him a while and I'm sure he'll be fine. Btw, is your rescue female neutered? Males are still fertile a while after neutering so don't put them together yet if she's not spayed.
As said, mounting is normal bonding behaviour, but I imagine it will be a bit OTT until his hormones settle

The above reasons are far the most likely. As a very outside possibility, mine went "high as a kite" - non stop - for 2 days when given 2 fronds of cow parsley (wild chervil) instead of 1. Subsequently found that coriander has a similar but less pronounced effect. Suspect that all leaves from the carrot family may possibly be rabbit "aphrodisiacs". :shock:

Sorry for a bit of a thread hijack

I'm trying to put 2 of our rabbits together, Noob has been snipped about 2 months ago, but he just won't leave Jez alone for long. He's humping her all the time.
There's no aggression, and Jez just ends up laying on the floor and letting him get on with it. How long before he'll give up?

Glad its not just me having the same problem lol

i had my female neutered and my male 3 weeks ago and he is humping her like mad..everytime i shout his name he stops but i can't be around 24 hours a day when they go in a cage together lol

my female also is showing no aggression, she did stamp her back feet once and he backed away for a while..i just hate seeing her lying there letting him do it, she just looks at me like why are you putting me though this lol

dunno if i can cope with this for more then 2 months its only been 3 weeks now:?

castrated bunny

Hi can anyone tell me if castration can be reversed my bunny Thumper was lovable and friendly before castration but now he keeps his distance and doesn't like to be picked up i need help oh he was castrated three weeks ago
Joan

Hi can anyone tell me if castration can be reversed my bunny Thumper was lovable and friendly before castration but now he keeps his distance and doesn't like to be picked up i need help oh he was castrated three weeks ago
Joan

No I should think not sorry.
He just needs time, some buns just do post-neuter. He could equally be in pain or have other health issues affecting his behaviour? I would get him checked out by a vet first.
Perhaps he would like a neutered female bun for companionship? Meanwhile I would just spend as much time sitting near him or by him as possible. :)

Back