• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Aggression linked to handling - lesson learned

Furries

Warren Scout
I just wanted to share my experience of how the wrong handling made my bunny aggressive.

About a week ago I changed how I picked my rabbits up, for fear of them kicking their back legs and injuring themselves.

Trouble is, I started trying to scoop her up, by approaching her with my hand from the front. I couldn't understand why my doe suddenly became aggressive - I thought it was just a return to her prior aggression she'd displayed before I'd had her spayed. She was only ever aggressive though when I picked her up - if I sat in the run with them, they'd both hop over to see me and let me stroke them.

After a lot of research on the internet, I realised that she was viewing me as a threat, because I was putting my hand in front of her, when I tried to pick her up. So, I switched back to how I'd been handling them before - by putting my hand under his/her side - I was just careful to ensure that I scooped his/her bottom up sooner than I had done before. This was a couple of days ago and she hasn't displayed the aggression since.

I found this link really useful; though I'm not sure where I read to approach them from the side.

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/aggression.html

Thank you. That is a very interesting & helpful post. Amazing how our buns have so much wildie behaviour!

Back