• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice needed about baby bunny

ruthie

Warren Scout
My cousin has asked me to pop round and see her new bunny, 11 weeks old female.
She hasn't had a rabbit since she was little and its beena while since I've had one so young. To be able to give her the best advice I just have a couple of questions I would be grateful if any one could help.

I know they require unlimited hay and Pellets when young, but what age do they stop having unlimited pellets?
How old do they have to be before being speyed?
and what about vaccinations, do they need to be a certain age or can they be done now?
erm......and anything else anyone can think of please!!!

Cheers Ruthie

I believe she can have her vaccinations now, think its from 8 weeks upwards. Speying depends on the individual vet, my Lottie was speyed at 16 weeks, some vets like to leave females until around 6 months because the tubes inside them are so fragile when they are younger. When she takes bunny along to the vets she can ask about neutering :)

Some people say unlimited food, others say normal rations :? I personally fed a trio of babies i had here as fosters unlimited pellets until they were around 20 weeks old, then i gradually reduced them to the normal amount, remember to let her know the reduction will need to be very slow! I still wouldnt give them more than 1 bowl a day as really you want to encourage baby bunny to eat the hay.

Think thats everything you asked :) Bet shes gorgeous :love: xXx

regards with feeding i waited till about 6months, i noticed they had too many cecals and started to slowly reduce it till they had no extra cecals. i would reduce sooner if they have too many cecals.

My cousin has asked me to pop round and see her new bunny, 11 weeks old female.
She hasn't had a rabbit since she was little and its beena while since I've had one so young. To be able to give her the best advice I just have a couple of questions I would be grateful if any one could help.

I know they require unlimited hay and Pellets when young, but what age do they stop having unlimited pellets?
How old do they have to be before being speyed?
and what about vaccinations, do they need to be a certain age or can they be done now?
erm......and anything else anyone can think of please!!!

Cheers Ruthie

My vets said that my 'baby' buns could have thier injections at 12 wks. My vets also wouldn't spay my female baby until she was 6 months old but this can depend on the vet.
As for the pellets I reduced my down after their spay/netuer when they were fully recovered.

Back