• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I get a new bunny?

LoopyLouie

Wise Old Thumper
Hi everyone,

I've been pondering over getting a new friend for my male bun and I would like some advice if possible.

Wilm lost his partner about 6 months ago then was part of a trio of bunnies that worked out at first but then trouble broke out and 2 of them were rehomed last week leaving me with Wilm. Now I also have a cat and Wilm goes free range in the living room with the cat when we are home. They are fine together, the cat annoys Wilm a bit but nothing more than that. The thing is, I'm a full time teacher and he spends a lot of time, an obviously all night alone and I feel very guilty.

Now I live in a flat and did find it difficult when I had to separate them as I simply didn't have the room to accommodate them and I'm worried what would happen if the bonding didn't work out.

Any help would be appreciated!

My question is basically should I get another bun or perhaps wait until we move somewhere bigger (not on the cards yet) or just carry on as we are?

EDIT: Also, I have made a few enquiries about french lops and one lady has come to light who was rejected by a breeder because she wasn't very good with her kits :( Does anyone have any pics of dwarf/Frenchie combos so I can see the size difference?

Last edited:
I think there is always more of a risk with threesomes, although some work fine, but they are more likely to break-down, whereas a pair tends to work very well for longevity and ease of bonding in most instances. I think a spayed female would be just perfect for your little boy and keep him happy whilst you are at work. Male:female pairs tend to be the simplest bonds and the best for longevity (so you won't have to worry about it all going wrong in the future - hopefully). I'd definitely say get him a neutered female bun and if you're happy bonding and have a neutral environment you can use then do it yourself :D

I don't mind doing the bonding myself, I've done it 3 times, it's just the worry of the bond fails.

what I mean is if it's done at the rescue, you don't adopt the bunny until they're already bonded, so you don't have to worry about bringing a bunny home and them hating each other...

Back