• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Referred aggression help!

BeatrixPotter

Mama Doe
Today I had Peter and Mopsy free ranging in the garden for the first time in a while. Its been so hectic lately with Leo and Lila arriving, bonding Peter and Mopsy and o/h building the patio.

They are always supervised closely when they free range and I was concerned about referred aggression so I had covered the sides of the run part of Leo and Lila's hutch/run combo. Well Mopsy went to investigate and pushed the sheet aside and came face to face with Leo. They were quite happily touching noses through the wire when Lila came to see. As soon as Lila and Mopsy touched noses Leo went mad and started chasing Lila and there was a little fur pulling. As soon as I made sure they were covered again it stopped.

They have been living opposite each other for 6 weeks with no problems. Is there any way to avoid this? Will I always have to cover them up making sure there are no gaps? Peter and Mopsy spent most of the time they were free ranging, about 2 hours, trying to see Leo and Lila.

Help!

Personally I would block off the area around the run so that they can't have direct contact. You may find they will be accepting of other rabbits being in the garden, so long as they can't get too close :)

Today I had Peter and Mopsy free ranging in the garden for the first time in a while. Its been so hectic lately with Leo and Lila arriving, bonding Peter and Mopsy and o/h building the patio.

They are always supervised closely when they free range and I was concerned about referred aggression so I had covered the sides of the run part of Leo and Lila's hutch/run combo. Well Mopsy went to investigate and pushed the sheet aside and came face to face with Leo. They were quite happily touching noses through the wire when Lila came to see. As soon as Lila and Mopsy touched noses Leo went mad and started chasing Lila and there was a little fur pulling. As soon as I made sure they were covered again it stopped.

They have been living opposite each other for 6 weeks with no problems. Is there any way to avoid this? Will I always have to cover them up making sure there are no gaps? Peter and Mopsy spent most of the time they were free ranging, about 2 hours, trying to see Leo and Lila.

Help!

From my own experience with referred aggression i'd say you will need to keep them permanently blocked off to prevent these sorts of incidents if is causing probs, which it clearly is - something more solid than a sheet would be a good idea - but removable if you wanted them to see out one side of the run when the others are not free ranging.

Thank you.

I think I will use my hexagonal run stretched out across the middle of the garden. This way when they are free ranging they will still have plenty of space without being able to get close to each other.

Will they always be like this or will it improve with time?

It's different with all buns but I have found that pairs that come into mine can show signs of referred aggression but after a while they get used to having other bunnies around and settle down. I've never got to the point with any pair where I have had to block them off.

Back