• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

any colour experts?

frags

New Kit
well im told of someone who has a white that has blue eyes (french lop) they are about 6-7 weeks old at mo but mum is same but has some slight cream colour around her back legs.
anyone know what this colouring is called?

The babies sound like Blue eyed Whites.

Pictures of mum might be helpful, but she might be a vienna marked rabbit. It's hard to say vienna marked what without a picture though (could be vienna marked tort, vienna marked agouti, etc).

The babies sound like Blue eyed Whites.

Pictures of mum might be helpful, but she might be a vienna marked rabbit. It's hard to say vienna marked what without a picture though (could be vienna marked tort, vienna marked agouti, etc).

i thought vienna too. i havent seen them yet im going monday, im really excited lol
i know mum isnt pure white 100% so i dont think they will be 100% BEW?

You get blue eyed white babies from rabbits that have the BEW gene showing, and these can be vienna marked buns or BEWs. Whatever the parentage (be it BEW and BEW, vienna and BEW, or vienna and vienna) they are still 'genuine' BEWs. My friend breeds them, and given I have a couple of BEWs and a vienna marked bun we have talked about it a lot. It's a fascinating gene to work with. You get some very gorgeous buns with the vienna marking.

Unless you're asking about their pedigree and if they are pedigree BEWs?

You get blue eyed white babies from rabbits that have the BEW gene showing, and these can be vienna marked buns or BEWs. Whatever the parentage (be it BEW and BEW, vienna and BEW, or vienna and vienna) they are still 'genuine' BEWs. My friend breeds them, and given I have a couple of BEWs and a vienna marked bun we have talked about it a lot. It's a fascinating gene to work with. You get some very gorgeous buns with the vienna marking.

well mum is the white and cream and dad is a blue otter, i soooo cant wait lol ive been waiting for a BEW for ages :D

Ah, ok.

If he a vienna marked blue otter or not?

I believe these babies then should be vienna marked buns if dad is not showing the BEW gene.

To get the full BEW, then you need to have both parents showing the gene.

Ah, ok.

If he a vienna marked blue otter or not?

I believe these babies then should be vienna marked buns if dad is not showing the BEW gene.

To get the full BEW, then you need to have both parents showing the gene.

i dont know what a vienna marked otter is sorry i only know him as a blue otter, i know what he looks like tho as he belongs to my friend and the mum belongs to her friend.
what markings would be vienna otter?

The blue otter will have the blue coat over the back and around the head, and will have sandy markings and a light coat around the eyes, around the mouth and nose, inside the ears, the back of the neck, feet and on the belly.

This is a blue otter.

http://www.adorablerabbits.co.uk/blue otter baby.jpg

A vienna marked blue otter will have that marking and then have white on him maybe down his nose, on his paws, neck, sides, maybe blue eyes.

http://preciousjewellsrabbitry.com/bunny hill destiny.jpg

Does that help?

The blue otter will have the blue coat over the back and around the head, and will have sandy markings and a light coat around the eyes, around the mouth and nose, inside the ears, the back of the neck, feet and on the belly.

This is a blue otter.

http://www.adorablerabbits.co.uk/blue otter baby.jpg

A vienna marked blue otter will have that marking and then have white on him maybe down his nose, on his paws, neck, sides, maybe blue eyes.

http://preciousjewellsrabbitry.com/bunny hill destiny.jpg

Does that help?

think he is just a basic blue otter on that info.

thank you so much for your help you have given me, your a star x

well i went to view today and mum looks white with blue eyes and has very light patchy creamy colouring on her back.
also this buns daughter who is fawn has kits and the dad is a agouti butterfly and they have a white with blue eyes too although slight flecks on a few ends of hair are a silvery colour.

how on earth is this woman getting whites with blue eyes? ok they may gain other colour along the way but they are still in my eyes a blue eyes white.

It sounds like they are in fact frosty points, there are only 2 breeders of BEW Frenchies in the uk (both working from imported lines) Frosties are sometimes known as mock blue eyed whites cos that can look very like blue eyed white. As i'm guessing you are getting a beloved pet it doesn't really matter except for the fact that the breeder doesn't really know what they are selling so the breed might not be right either.
HTH
Jessy

Back