• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Parsley and spinach

sacol4940

Warren Veteran
Hi All :wave:

Jose doesnt like carrots, parsnip, cauliflower or brocolli, the only things ive found that he likes so far are parsley and spinach, but how much of these 2 am i allowed to feed him each day please?

Also, in Morrisons the other day, i noticed something in the veg section called "Spring greens", what are these and can bunnies eat them? They were just big leaves by the looks of it

Thanks in advance

Sarah

Buns love Spring Greens - I think you have to be careful with Spinach due to the calcium content.

Spring Greens are my buns fave and are cheap and you get tons!

You are only supposed to feed small quantities of spinach and parsley, as I think there may be a calcium issue. As far as spring greens are concerned, mine can't get enough of them, although I'm not sure it's right. :oops: Try to introduce them gradually, as you would do with any other type of food. :)

oh dear, poor Jose, he wont be very happy that i've got to limit his fave foods lol.

Do i just feed him a few leaves of parsley and spinach a day or a week or what?

And he's ok to eat plenty of spring greens then?

(sorry for all the questions, im just terrified of making him ill thats all)

ahhh i didnt no spinache was tht bad, :( mine love spinache leaves, they'l have to make do with a few :p

jose sounds like a mini eric:lol: eric now likes carrot tops, spring greens occasionally, fresh basil and extra fine green beans (i introduced them all gradually tho, one different veg at a time to see how his tum reacted but so far so good:D).

the green beans are his fave and i haven't found them to make him gassy (but he only has 3 or 4 a couple of times a day).

he used to love fresh mint too but has gone off that - now i've got half a dozen huge plants:roll:

recently started giving him a bit of my banana when i have one too.

i've found that he'll refuse most new things at least once - maybe twice - but when i offer them again, he doesn't seem so 'scared' by them and tries them:lol: if there's only one nibble i presume he's not keen so offer something else next time.

Spinach, parsley and spring greens are all quite safe to feed and a good feed source. However, yes spinach and parsley are both high in calcium which in excess can cause bladder sludge/stones in bunnies as they are unable to cope with excess calcium in their diet.
Buns with a history of bladder sludge/stones and renal problems should avoid these foods for the most part, including Kale.
Spring greens are a type of cabbage and full of Vit A which is good :D but some buns don't tolerate large amounts of cabbage well and it can cause digestive upsest in buns with sensitive tums and those prone to excess caecotroph/sticky bums. I have one bun who can eat tons of cabbage/brocoli/spring greens, and another who can only tolerate a small amount occasionally. As with any new green introduce slowly and then wait 24-48 hours for digestive upsest before feeding again.
Watercress is high in Vit C and calcium :)
Any greens gone slightly old/yellowed - don't feed! Buns are far more susceptible to digestive upset from stale greens than we are.
You can feed parsley/spinach etc a couple of leaves/sprigs a few times a week perhaps? It's best to give a good variety of veg and change the variety given daily for max nutritional content.

i bought a bag of parlsey on friday (before i realised he couldnt eat loads) so i bought a bag of spring greens yesterday and he loved them! I'll see how his tum reacts to them and if everythings's ok, I'll give him his spring greens with a few parsley leaves on top until the parsley either runs out or starts to wilt.

Now just need to find another veg that he'll eat and that doesnt have to be limited!

i bought a bag of parlsey on friday (before i realised he couldnt eat loads) so i bought a bag of spring greens yesterday and he loved them! I'll see how his tum reacts to them and if everythings's ok, I'll give him his spring greens with a few parsley leaves on top until the parsley either runs out or starts to wilt.

Now just need to find another veg that he'll eat and that doesnt have to be limited!

I actually give mine quite a handful of parsley but I only do it once a week or so, maybe twice a week, it yellows quite quickly. But then I don't feed pellets so they don't have any additional dietary calcium. It depends on how much other calcium sources your bun has access to as to how much to limit it! I'm glad he loved the spring greens :D

I actually give mine quite a handful of parsley but I only do it once a week or so, maybe twice a week, it yellows quite quickly. But then I don't feed pellets so they don't have any additional dietary calcium. It depends on how much other calcium sources your bun has access to as to how much to limit it! I'm glad he loved the spring greens :D

The only problem with spring greens is that they stink! I hate the smell, i have to breathe through my mouth when im chopping them up for him lol.

The fresh parsley i buy is from morrisons in a plastic pot thing for 50p, so if i buy one pot a week and maybe give him a small handful twice a week (he's only little) and then chuck the rest away if its gone yellow.

This is all very confusing!! :?

The only problem with spring greens is that they stink! I hate the smell, i have to breathe through my mouth when im chopping them up for him lol.

The fresh parsley i buy is from morrisons in a plastic pot thing for 50p, so if i buy one pot a week and maybe give him a small handful twice a week (he's only little) and then chuck the rest away if its gone yellow.

This is all very confusing!! :?

Nah that sounds fine :D
My other half hates the smell of any brocoli/cabbage especially as bunnies grind it up so nicely :lol:

My guys love the occasional strawberry, apple and banana.

I also cut grass from the garden and pick dandelions from the garden too.

The also like strawberry leaves, apple leave, blackberry leaves, raspberry leaves

Back