• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

latest treatment for EC

suzannem

New Kit
i posted a thread earlier and basically it seems my rabbit has EC (been to vets but they didnt give me much info, esp not on the treatment/cleaning)
this is the thread
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=187491
basically we've been given an approx 16 day course of panacur to give my bunny for what the vet described as a probable mild case of gobbly-de-gook. which i now know as EC.
she just said use the 2 tubes til its all gone and she'll be fine, i have now learnt this is not the case.
should i give 28days treatment? and ive been reading about the strict cleaning too (10%bleach. regularly. extra days 21 &28)
any advice?
is my bun gonna be ok?

How much does your bun weigh? How many sections of the tube have you been told to use a day (ie how many marks on it)?

Yes, some people give 28 days as a course for active EC, and some 6 weeks. You can buy Panacur online or in Pets at Home, if you haven't been given enough for a full course.

Im sure the reason for 28 days is the EC can survive for 21 days and the following 7 is for prevention. But can someone please correct me if im wrong :).

Hope your wee bun is ok.

hiya we've been told to give 2 sections daily and we've been given 2 tubes (approx 16 days we think) she seems a lot better today still only eating nice stuff but at least shes eating!
our prob now is that she doesnt seem to be poohing or weeing much. i know shes eating less but theres almost nothing. shes not eating any of her dry food, would it be advisable to give the recovery diet as a precaution do u think?
thanks

Absolutely I would give the recovery food, mine will happily eat it from a little dish. It is good because it contains fibre to keep his guts moving. It is very important to keep bunny eating and pooing. Keep offering bits and bobs to tempt him, hand feed him whatever he likes, dandelion leaves, herbs, his pellets, grated carrot every half hour. If he is not eating and pooing by morning I would definately get him back to the vets straight away.

right well im gonna go n give it to her. we've gave her it in the past and she doesnt like it (prob cos she knows we want her to eat it and shes stubborn...takes after her mummy!!) so we'll have to syringe it in.
we'll keep an eye on her and my bfs taking tomorrow off work, he's ill as well :roll: and she'll get taken vets again if she doesnt perk up and eat more than carrot tops!

well shes just had it. the only way to get it into her was to hold her against my chest and syringe it in. im COVERED in scratches but she had 3 small syringes full so i dont care and 2 poohs while i was holding her! hopefully she'll be ok :)

Back