• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

tips?

suzannem

New Kit
hiya,
we went into c my rabbit this morning and she kept tilting her head to one side, flickering her eyes and one of her back legs wasnt doing too good, we obviously rushed her to the vets.
she said it was a common infection (cant remember name but its a parasite that live in kidneys of a lot a rabbits) shes given us sum medicine that has to be syrienged into her mouth. big problem, she dont like it, it was aful restraining her, i felt so mean, any tips on how to make this less stressful for her and us?
also shes not really eating atm, if we give her carrot tops(her fave) she'll eat them but not if we just leave them in her cage of any other foods. until she feels better is it ok for her just to eat carrot tops for a while, and how do we encourage her to eat other food again?
sorry its long, thanks for ur help!

Was it EC?

What medication is she having?

Keep tempting her with lots of different bits, fresh herbs, (basil, mint, coriander, parsley are popular), rocket. Did the vet give you any recovery food?

Was it E Cuniculi? If so the medication is probably Panacur, but did they give you anything else for her or any injections whilst she was there?

im not sure, i can go n find the tube if it helps, its some kind of worming formula, it does mention EC on the label, but the vet just said a really long name, as vets do!

Sooz- it think it was that medicine, they didnt do ne thin while we were there, said to bring her back if she didnt eat and gave us some of the recovery food just incase but as shes eating some solids were keeping off it for now.
its just injecting it into her mouth, its so hard!

My rabbit currently needs syringe medicine for E Cuniculi and the best way to do it is with another person (If possible). One person should hold the rabbits body firmly but gently (so not to hurt the bun) whilst the other gives the medicine. The best way really is to just gently poke the syringe at the rabbits mouth and eventually (unless the bun is extremely stubborn) she should open her mouth and then put the syringe in and squirt the medication in. It can be difficult to give the medicine but remember, it's for a good reason.

As for food you can try tempting your bunny with different things. It is important that she eats.

i think shes a stubborn one... it took a good few mins of wiggling (im covered in scratches) and then when she went still it took another min b4 other half managed to get it between her lips! she likes getting her own way and goes into a strop when she doesnt!

If it is Panacur paste for rabbits, I find my two are both happy to eat it on a leaf. Choose something tasty like a rocket or dandelion leaf, sqeeze it on and sandwich the leaf up and hand feed it to her, a couple of unmedicated ones first so she gets going, then the one with the meds.

I think it is recommended that she should have had some other meds given too, anti-inflamatories and pain killers but I'm sure someone more experienced will advise you on that one. How long a course of Panacur has she been given and have you been advised about cleaning?

we've been given 2 syringes and told to give two "clicks" once a day until we run out.
we've not been advsed about cleaning, but we have scrubbed her cage and bought all new bits for it. and we're planningon scrubbing it at least once a day cos she said its spread thru their urine so we dont want her to reinfect herself

I should have a search on here for other threads about active EC as I think there are certain days where you need to do a thorough clean with a 10% bleach solution. How many days will "2 clicks a day, for 2 tubes last you? Did your vet check her ears to rule out an ear infection?

im not sure id day there was prob 10 days worth...(guess)
she checked her mouth, ears and weighed her. said her ears were clean.

I am certain that isn't long enough as it is recommended to treat for 28 as a preventative measure and I know for an active case it is much longer - did she tell you to bring her back when you'd run out? perhaps she only had 2 tubes in stock and plans to give you more?

I'll have a look for links but I'm not very good, JacksJane is the lady with the links!

right, i just checked and its deff panacur and looking and the number of "nobbles" on the side i would say about 8 days in each tube - 16 days.
ive been looking at the other threads and will follow the cleaning advice there and they also say 28days min course. they mention been able to buy at p@h so we will go and get some more!
im really annoyed at this vet! we had to go to a new 1 as our regular was out on an emergency and it wasnt know when he'd be back.
the vet said she wouldve prob picked it up as a young rabbit and been carrying it since. she's about 15months. is this right?

Yes you can get Panacur over the counter, try vetuk or is it vetsuk online. I can't advise you on EC recovery really as I have no experience but I know a lot of people on here do so maybe do a thorough search or pop up a new thread asking for latest treatment for EC (Encephalitozoon Cuniculi). I know Kermit suffered with EC and JazzyBbunny has a rabbit undergoing treatment for it too. JacksJane as I said is extremely knowledgable and helpful and usually can come up with great links so you can inform yourself with the latest ideas and treatments - maybe pm her I'm sure she won't mind.

Stole one of Janes links from another thread, sorry Jane, hope it works
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resor.../ecuniculi.htm

Also note from another thread that panacur treatment should be between 28 days and 6 weeks and be coupled with anti-inflamatories and sometimes seems to be with Baytril too (Antibiotic)

Remember that it is often refered to as "head tilt" when you are looking for other threads.

Maybe just edit this thread to be called "Help with EC please" or similar.
Sorry I see you've started another thread now:lol:

Back